Chapala.com Webboard

English speaking home church?

dealerdave

I don't know what a home church is but there are quite a few English speaking churches in the area serving the English speaking community. I, for example, belong to the "Little Chapel by the Lake", a non denominational protestant church near San Antonio which is between Chapala and Ajijic.

San Andreas--Ajijic's main church near the plaza--has an English speaking community that celebrates Mass on Sundays at 9 am and I think on Wednesdays at 12 noon. The priest is an English speaker from South Africa--Fr. Basil. They are very involved in charity work as well. There is another group that meets at San Antonio's main church in their plaza on Sundays at 10 am though I don't know much about it and have never been there. I live in Chapala and cannot find any English speaking Catholic congregation though I have chosen to immerse myself with my neighbors in the Spanish speaking community. It has helped my Spanish language skills immensely.

There are several Protestant Churches along the carretera that hold English speaking services and are also very involved in charity work here at Lakeside. If you choose to become involved in any Christian community that uses English as their main language there are many communities to choose from. There is a synagogue that meets just a stone's throw from the main road in the Riberas area, too. I haven't heard anyone speak of a mainline Protestant congregation in Chapala that uses English but that doesn't say that there isn't one. If by "house church" you mean a few families that meet together for worship in each other's houses on Sundays I haven't heard of any but they also may exist.

Many/some of us meet for social reasons in a room adjacent to the church as early as 10:45 or even earlier, where we socialize, drink coffee, etc have sweet snacks, etc. and at 11:15 AM the Sunday service begins and lasts for one hour. One can either go home after the service or join those who wish to have lunch together, to meet at one of the local restaurants for a great time and hopefully a great lunch.

Feel free to post any other questions here or send me a message. I, we are looking forward to meeting you

We are coming to Chapels for the first time in January. Does anyone know of any small home churches in the area? Thanks!

Chapala Baptist Church just off the Carratera. Minister is a Texan. We attended services when we were there.

Chapala Baptist Church just off the Carratera. Minister is a Texan. We attended services when we were there.

I went to the Chapala Baptist Church for 8 years while I lived in Chapala, I now live in Southern California, the pastors name is Bob and his wife's name is Judy and they are wonderful. The church has around 100 people that attend each Sunday. If you are looking for a Bible believing church this is the place to go you will love it, God is there.

San Andreas--Ajijic's main church near the plaza--has an English speaking community that celebrates Mass on Sundays at 9 am and I think on Wednesdays at 12 noon. The priest is an English speaker from South Africa--Fr. Basil. They are very involved in charity work as well. There is another group that meets at San Antonio's main church in their plaza on Sundays at 10 am though I don't know much about it and have never been there. I live in Chapala and cannot find any English speaking Catholic congregation though I have chosen to immerse myself with my neighbors in the Spanish speaking community. It has helped my Spanish language skills immensely.

There are several Protestant Churches along the carretera that hold English speaking services and are also very involved in charity work here at Lakeside. If you choose to become involved in any Christian community that uses English as their main language there are many communities to choose from. There is a synagogue that meets just a stone's throw from the main road in the Riberas area, too. I haven't heard anyone speak of a mainline Protestant congregation in Chapala that uses English but that doesn't say that there isn't one. If by "house church" you mean a few families that meet together for worship in each other's houses on Sundays I haven't heard of any but they also may exist.

Just FYI: the name of the Roman Catholic church near the main plaza in Ajijic is Templo San Andrés. San Andrés is the patron saint of Ajijic.

Archived