Chapala.com Webboard

Playaboy will buy your US plated car

If you need to sell your US plated car and don’t want to go to the border yourself I highly recommend the services of Playaboy. I recently sold my 2004 VW Passat to him and was very pleased with his service and the entire process. I knew that I could expect at best only wholesale value of the car if I took it to Texas or Arizona. I did some research on the web and determined that value. Playaboy’s offer was a little below wholesale but less than I would have spent driving to the border and flying back. IMHO his offer was completely fair. He is honest, meticulous, and scrupulously legal. He uses the services of Spencer’s office to ensure that he has a POA and any necessary travel documents. He pays for Spencers services. He paid me in cash when we concluded the deal. He then returned my TIP receipt and insurance policy documents to me after he returned from NOB. I highly recommend Playaboy for those of you, like me, who don’t wish the time and hassle of driving to the border to dispose of your US plated car. You can contact Playaboy via cornking1(at)yahoo(dot)com

If you need to sell your US plated car and don’t want to go to the border yourself I highly recommend the services of Playaboy. I recently sold my 2004 VW Passat to him and was very pleased with his service and the entire process. I knew that I could expect at best only wholesale value of the car if I took it to Texas or Arizona. I did some research on the web and determined that value. Playaboy’s offer was a little below wholesale but less than I would have spent driving to the border and flying back. IMHO his offer was completely fair. He is honest, meticulous, and scrupulously legal. He uses the services of Spencer’s office to ensure that he has a POA and any necessary travel documents. He pays for Spencers services. He paid me in cash when we concluded the deal. He then returned my TIP receipt and insurance policy documents to me after he returned from NOB. I highly recommend Playaboy for those of you, like me, who don’t wish the time and hassle of driving to the border to dispose of your US plated car. You can contact Playaboy via cornking1(at)yahoo(dot)com

Where did you find the wholesale value of your vehicle? I use Kelley Bluebook and I see only "Trade In" and "Private Sale." I"d like to find the value of my car before I contact Playaboy. Thanks so much.

I'm not familiar with that. He had a POA. My car and my visa were both current and legal so he did not need a Retorno Seguro.

Where did you find the wholesale value of your vehicle? I use Kelly Bluebook and I see only "Trade In" and "Private Sale." I"d like to find the value of my car before I contact Playaboy. Thanks so much.

Actually those two figures WILL give you an approximation of the value of your car if it were NOB.... at least in the eyes of KBB (which is, contrary to what many folks believe, NOT universally viewed as a totally reliable source..... but It's one starting point).

Another source more generally used by the automotive world is NADA.com it's easy to use as is KBB but they give 'different' views of the value. The "Retail" figure shown there is 'generally' used as the value a 'dealer/used car lot' would sell at. The Trade-In values are just that... what one might expect to get when trading a car into a dealer. Don't be surprised to see the KBB and NADA Trade-In values to be significantly different from each other on the same exact car. It's not a perfect science (remember, we are talking used car sales!!!).

Back to KBB.... the Private Party value is a guide to what your car 'might' be worth if you advertised it for sale yourself NOB (craigslist, etc.). The Trade-In value is what one might expect to get if trading that same car in on another car at a 'dealer/used car lot'.

These two (KBB and NADA) value guides should be taken with a grain of salt. One or both of them will ask for a zip code to better align their estimation with the reality of one place versus another (a car on the border of Texas/Mexico is not going to bring as high a price, on average, as that same car if sold, say, in California or Colorado.

When selling a car I always look at craigslist.com also to see what the reality is on any given make/model/year in my area at the time. You'll get a range of pricing there also (by-owner vs by-dealer) but at least one can see what's available and see how it might compare to what you have for sale. It's just another tool.

One thing to remember also is that these valuations do not take into consideration what it will take to drive the car to the border paying gas and tolls, maybe staying overnight on the way and at the border several days to sell, and then fly/bus back home. These expenses must also be taken into account.

One last thing that I have observed..... the cobble stone roads and the high concrete sidewalks at Lakeside take a toll on cars more than an owner may think. In March I purchased two Ajijic vehicles to bring north. Both were SUVs and supposedly could take the rough cobblestones. Before I left I had to replace the front suspension on the 2008 RAV4 with 80,000 miles (only half of which were in put on in Ajijic) because it was shot; and the other car, a 2006 Lexus had to have the struts (shocks) replaced too and it only had 44k miles on it! And most cars will need some 'bumper' scratches and scrapes repaired before the car will be presentable NOB.

Actually those two figures WILL give you an approximation of the value of your car if it were NOB.... at least in the eyes of KBB (which is, contrary to what many folks believe, NOT universally viewed as a totally reliable source..... but It's one starting point).

Another source more generally used by the automotive world is NADA.com it's easy to use as is KBB but they give 'different' views of the value. The "Retail" figure shown there is 'generally' used as the value a 'dealer/used car lot' would sell at. The Trade-In values are just that... what one might expect to get when trading a car into a dealer. Don't be surprised to see the KBB and NADA Trade-In values to be significantly different from each other on the same exact car. It's not a perfect science (remember, we are talking used car sales!!!).

Back to KBB.... the Private Party value is a guide to what your car 'might' be worth if you advertised it for sale yourself NOB (craigslist, etc.). The Trade-In value is what one might expect to get if trading that same car in on another car at a 'dealer/used car lot'.

These two (KBB and NADA) value guides should be taken with a grain of salt. One or both of them will ask for a zip code to better align their estimation with the reality of one place versus another (a car on the border of Texas/Mexico is not going to bring as high a price, on average, as that same car if sold, say, in California or Colorado.

When selling a car I always look at craigslist.com also to see what the reality is on any given make/model/year in my area at the time. You'll get a range of pricing there also (by-owner vs by-dealer) but at least one can see what's available and see how it might compare to what you have for sale. It's just another tool.

One thing to remember also is that these valuations do not take into consideration what it will take to drive the car to the border paying gas and tolls, maybe staying overnight on the way and at the border several days to sell, and then fly/bus back home. These expenses must also be taken into account.

One last thing that I have observed..... the cobble stone roads and the high concrete sidewalks at Lakeside take a toll on cars more than an owner may think. In March I purchased two Ajijic vehicles to bring north. Both were SUVs and supposedly could take the rough cobblestones. Before I left I had to replace the front suspension on the 2008 RAV4 with 80,000 miles (only half of which were in put on in Ajijic) because it was shot; and the other car, a 2006 Lexus had to have the struts (shocks) replaced too and it only had 44k miles on it! And most cars will need some 'bumper' scratches and scrapes repaired before the car will be presentable NOB.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate that you took the time to give me so much information. It is very helpful.

Archived