Chapala.com Webboard

Best plact to buy New Tires

simpsca

Does anyone know if it's best to buy new tires here in Mexico or in the US? I have both options and am looking for good quality tires.

Without a doubt, buy them in the US. When I bought my Michelins, they were about $ 50 USD each more here than in the US and I bought them in GDL at Albarran Tire which was cheaper than Costco and ALL of them locally.

So, there you are? - I had the exact opposite experience, I checked all of them including Albarran and Costco ended up best value here. Now, had I been NOB, I'd have gone to a Discount Tire store without exception. In fact, I had to go to a Discount Tire NOB about 6 months later to have the tires balanced on a trip N because, Costco did good, but not to my standards.

So, there you are? - I had the exact opposite experience, I checked all of them including Albarran and Costco ended up best value here. Now, had I been NOB, I'd have gone to a Discount Tire store without exception. In fact, I had to go to a Discount Tire NOB about 6 months later to have the tires balanced on a trip N because, Costco did good, but not to my standards.

Good on you. Costco was more money for a "cheaper" Michelin M + S tire. I bought the best rated Michelin "Cross Terrains" instead. Michelin is the ONLY tire I'll have on a car because it lasts so long.

I just bought a Michelin tire at the place behind the Pemex station in central Ajijic. They had to order it; took 1 day; and the price was only slightly higher (maybe $20 USD) than I had paid at Discount Tire in Laredo a few months ago.

One of the guys speaks perfect English.

They will do brakes, suspension and oil change work; I prefer to get my own oil and oil filters and they said they would change them for me.

Interesting that Costco here will not warrantee tires sold for Mexico. Reason given was bad roads. I have to say that, living in Jalisco, I can understand their position although Tamps is just as bad IMO.

They have improved in the last 5 years but they still have a long way to go. The #1 problem IMO is maintenance.

My tire research indicates that by far, the Michelins are the toughest tire.

Understand something about sunny places. Unless you have a garage out of the sun you will rot your tires (those little check lines)before

you wear them out. I couldn't get more than four or five years max before tires would sun check and have to be replaced. Also if you are

uber cobblestone driver it reduces tire life in half almost. Not sure Michelins are worth it down here. Don't get me wrong. I like Michelin

also just not sure they are worth it considering 90% of my driving is on the cobbles.

I have Goodyear Assurance on my CRV now. They have 20,000 more treadwear life left on them but the sidewalls are failing. Sidewall failure is an invitation to a potentially fatal blowout and roll over. Michelins have much stronger sidewalls.

Our car sits in the garage 95 percent of the time. Tire rot is not our problem, lousy roads are.

Understand something about sunny places. Unless you have a garage out of the sun you will rot your tires (those little check lines)before

you wear them out. I couldn't get more than four or five years max before tires would sun check and have to be replaced. Also if you are

uber cobblestone driver it reduces tire life in half almost. Not sure Michelins are worth it down here. Don't get me wrong. I like Michelin

also just not sure they are worth it considering 90% of my driving is on the cobbles.

I have Michelins on our SUV. They have 28 K miles on them, mostly cobbles. There is about another 15,000 left so I think that's good. They are a large tire and cost approx 2,000 pesos each or 160 USD.

Archived