Chapala.com Webboard

For Cetes lovers

jailbait

Mexico Opens Direct Government-Security Sales To Individual SaversFont size: A | A | A3:48 PM ET 11/26/10 | Dow Jones

By Anthony Harrup

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

MEXICO CITY (Dow Jones)--The Mexican government launched Friday a system to enable individuals for the first time to buy Treasury bills and bonds directly, in a move designed to promote domestic savings and add another dimension to government sources of financing.

The program, Cetesdirecto, allows individuals to buy Treasury bills, or Cetes, floating-rate bonds, and fixed-rate government bonds for as little as 100 pesos ($8). People who set up accounts can buy and sell directly on Internet, via telephone or at branches of government-run savings bank Bansefi.

"The truth is, up until now, Cetes have been hard to access for most Mexicans," President Felipe Calderon said at an event to announce the new system. The government securities pay higher returns than what small savers are used to receiving, and charge no commission, Calderon added.

One-month Cetes yielded 4.17% at the central bank's primary auction this week. Annual yields on fixed-rate bonds currently range from about 5.3% for three-year maturities to around 7.7% for 30-year bonds.

Gerardo Rodriguez, head of public credit at the Finance Ministry, said it was too early to estimate how many people might end up buying government securities directly. While Mexico has limited penetration in retail investment, there are about 8 million people who do online banking, and Internet use for financial operations is advancing rapidly, he said.

Additional securities will be issued at the central bank's weekly primary auctions to accommodate orders made through the Cetesdirecto system, which has been about two years in preparation.

-By Anthony Harrup, Dow Jones Newswires; (5255) 5980-5176, anthony.harrup@dowjones.com

> Dow Jones Newswires

11-26-10 1548ET

Copyright © 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Interesting thanks. I did the initial signup, but upon starting the 'contracion', I am asked for an RFC number.

Do you know if having an RFC number is a requirement for buying CETES?

Thanks

RFC= Registro Federal de Causantes. It is essentially an id number used by the Federales to determine your tax status. It is comprised of the first two letters of your father's last name, the first letter of your mother's maiden name, the first letter of your first name and the six numbers of your birthdate.

So if your name is joseph michael smith brown and you were born on November 15 1993 your RFC number is SMBJ111593. This is based on my Mexican spouse's recollection and may differ from reality. You might want to verify it with a banker,accountant,lawyer,or government bureaucrat.

Interesting thanks. I did the initial signup, but upon starting the 'contracion', I am asked for an RFC number.

Do you know if having an RFC number is a requirement for buying CETES?

Thanks

What I needed to buy my Cetes was a "clave unica de registro de poblacion" which has 16 letters and numbers. It is needed to identify documents. So far, I have been paying taxes on those cetes and never had a RFC number. I will inquire at Actinver.

What I needed to buy my Cetes was a "clave unica de registro de poblacion" which has 16 letters and numbers. It is needed to identify documents. So far, I have been paying taxes on those cetes and never had a RFC number. I will inquire at Actinver.

Where can I buy them, without having to give a cut to Lloyd's/Actinver?

The clave unica... is also referred to as the CURP. It's easy to get at the Ajijic delegation, think you need your passport and FM and proof of address as in phone or elect. bill.

Archived