Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of the Bus

Floradude

I usually give the driver 10 pesos and sometimes they give 2 pesos back, depending on the driver.  The nicer autobus that goes direct to Guadalajara turns at the Walmart/Mall intersection and does not go into Chapala.  So you would have to walk a little ways with it.  The auto bus can be very crowded depending on time of day you travel.  Middle of day is usually good.  I don't mind riding the autobus and do so frequently.  My wife prefers we take a taxi.  We have a regular taxi we use and we call about an hour in advance of the time we want him to pick us up.

1 hour ago, rafterbr said:

I usually give the driver 10 pesos and sometimes they give 2 pesos back, depending on the driver.  The nicer autobus that goes direct to Guadalajara turns at the Walmart/Mall intersection

There are two "nicer" buses.... one turns at Libramiento and other goes on to Chapala.  Those are the ones that are 10 pesos.  I'm guessing the smaller ones that weave in and out might be 8 if you look like a senior.  Highway buses are same for all.

36 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I would like to get on in front of El Torito and get off in front of Walmart. 

Then take the highway bus that does NOT indicate Libramiento.  If unsure about the hwy bus, simply ask from the door "va por Chapala?" and then you'll know.  If the right hwy bus, it takes the east lateral offshoot at the lights west of Walmart (Autozone) and stops right there above the store.

Easiest way to head back is cross the road to  bus stop  with HSBC, Steren, etc. behind and below, and you'll be let off by El Torito.