Chapala.com Webboard

Process: Tourist driving into Mexico

RickS

It has been a number of years since I have driven into Mexico as a tourist.... been flying in/out lately.
In the past one could/would go online to get an FMM & a TIP for the car before leaving home; briefly stop into Customs at the border to verify these and be on the way.

Looks like I'll be driving in this winter again. Any feedback from those of you who do this 'dance' annually these days?  What's the process like now?

From my understanding, TIP is only available for Tourista or Temporal. You can't bring a foreign plated vehicle into MX as a Permenente for fear of it being confiscated on a traffic stop. Isn't that correct?

If you will be driving I've had good insurance success with Lewis & Lewis. Good rates, quality carrier like Qualitas. Visist www.mexicanautoinsurance.com

Buena suerte!

We crossed in Loredo at the Columbia Solidarity International Bridge. It was about $430 USD for our Nissan Versa Hatchback and the process took about 30 mins because we did not do it in advance and only one office window was open. I've read mixed reviews doing it online and printing it out but don't know anyone first hand who has done it. It would sure be easier if you could time your crossing and prepare the TIP online. Perhaps this method has improved?

• Thanks 1