Chapala.com Webboard

Smoker Person

happyjillin

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The OPR first asked for a smoked ham and than qualified it to a pickled smoked ham.  This is a whole new ballgame.  You don't just inject a ham to pickle it'  A proper pickled ham is soaked in a brine solution for a week with turning it in the solution everyday.  It is than cooked by smoking it for at least 12 hours.  This is a southern treat and as the other members indicated, the ham and ham hocks are great in beans and other southern dishes.

Sorry but I am Canadian and actually witnessed the prep for picnic in the large meat packers I worked in and it wasn't prepared as you suggest  . When I purchased it. I did that at Sobeys, Great Canadian Super Store or Safeway. The hocks I got at German, Polish delis and a Hungarian smoke house. I  don't do what you call southern dishes. Apparently none of you can answer my question other than the guy in the kilt

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Thanks Tom for a great post. How to make smoked cured meats without killing anybody. Interesting that he says including fat and skin does not help flavor. Chicharones are made separately, I thought Mexican's must have teeth of steel, but no, they add them to enrichen the bean pot.

This man is making chicharrón; he makes it all day every day in my favorite market in Mexico City.  It's light, crisp, delicious, and actually better for you than, for example, potato chips: it has no fat, not greasy, no carbohydrates, pure protein (it's just the skin!), and relatively low in calories.  The perfect snack for someone on a low-carb diet.  Next time you make guacamole, use it instead of corn chips for carrying the guacamole from your plate to your mouth.  

Chicharrón Recién Salido Mercado de Jamaica Jan 2018 1.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, More Liana said:

This man is making chicharrón; he makes it all day every day in my favorite market in Mexico City.  It's light, crisp, delicious, actually and good for you: no fat, not greasy, no carbohydrates, pure protein (it's just the skin!), and relatively low in calories.  The perfect snack for someone on a low-carb diet.  Next time you make guacamole, use it instead of corn chips for carrying the guacamole from your plate to your mouth.  

Chicharrón Recién Salido Mercado de Jamaica Jan 2018 1.jpg

Almost all the butchers in Chapala do this and there is some fat on that skin and mostly cooked in the pork rendered fat[lard].