Chapala.com Webboard

Living Lakeside

Curious if I could receive  Feedback on why people moved to the lakeside area from NOB .

Did you visit the area before making a permanent move ? Do you like the area you picked ? Would you have changed anything and if so what ? 

Do you enjoy/like  the culture ? 

I came for a visit first with friends and bought a house while I was here. I loved the area but made the mistake of buying from a dishonest realtor and builder. The only thing I would change is to have rented for a bit first to get to know the area and the real estate market. It was an expensive lesson but I do not regret for a minute moving here.

The Mexican people are warm and kind and have been great at helping me learn where to go to get things and to have things fixed etc.

Each area has its own unique charm what I find appealing does appeal to a lot of Northerners I like seeing the street dogs and I enjoy hearing the roosters in the morning so living in a frat with all the northern type restrictions does not appeal to me but many are very well maintained and look beautiful. 

I like the walled homes. I like the feeling of privacy you have when your view is blocked off from your neighbours. 

Guest English Rose
6 hours ago, Justathought said:

Curious if I could receive  Feedback on why people moved to the lakeside area from NOB .

Did you visit the area before making a permanent move ? Do you like the area you picked ? Would you have changed anything and if so what ? 

Do you enjoy/like  the culture ? 

I  moved here as a single senior 13 years ago and have never worried about my safety. I too live in the community, not a frac. and have had neighbours, both permanente and snowbirds, from many parts of the world.

I came for a vacation, came back for the 6 mo 'season', went home and sold my place and couldn't wait to get back here. Being on my own, I prefer to rent so I can just pick up the phone when I need something done and the person at the other end looks after it. The Mexican people are very friendly, work hard, and are willing to help you out when asked and also help find the right Spanish word you need at the moment in the stores.

As the OP said, it would be a good idea to rent first and check out the different areas and find the best one to suit your life. Come down, leave any attitudes at the border, relax and just enjoy life. It is not the same as anywhere else so keep your mind open and realize you may have to make some adjustments but look a little farther down the road to see your big picture.

We came for a month in 2015 and thought we had a year to make our move... Returning home we placed our house on the market which surprisingly sold in three days. So here we are....

We had used our visit time in Ajijic to view homes with the intent of buying.. We had looked from Joco to Chapala and felt that living close to Ajijic would accommodate our lifestyle.  Renting is an excellent way to get to know the area, but for us would necessitate other moves... We had moved 24 times in 50 years of marriage so renting  was not an option.

We live in a gated small community that we find quite enjoyable. Everyone looks out for each other. We kept the previous owner's property manager and that has eliminated many of the headaches a newcomer faces when arriving here... We feel it is worth the cost.

We moved here for our final years... While we certainly could afford to continue our lifestyle in the US, we were looking towards the future and the possible need for assisted living. Assisted living can drain one's financial assets in short order North of the Border... We feel that the care locally is excellent and reasonably priced... Throw in the low cost of living, warm Mexican culture and ideal weather and you certainly have a convincing argument for relocation...

Archived