Chapala.com Webboard

Camping on Hwy 70 & 80?

I'm thinking of riding to the coast for a couple of days via Hwy 70 outbound and Hwy 80 inbound. I want to stop for the night near Mascota then continue from there to a campsite called Rancho Sol Y Mar, which is just south of P.V. Next stop is either Boca Del Iguanas or El Horno del Catrin, both of which are just north of Mazanilla. I’m looking for some camp sites on both hwy 70 & 80 roughly half way from Chapala and their respective terminations on Hwy 200. My research suggests that ‘camping’ here means cabins, but I just want to tent. Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

OK so the plan is to ride 70 to PV, then 200 down the coast then return on 80.  Correct?

I know there are camp grounds along the coast, a bunch of them in La Manzanilla for example.

I checked with a very experienced Mexico adventure rider.  He said there is a national park west of Mascota that might work for camping but he doesn't recommend camping solo anywhere along that road because of the high potential for crime.  He said there are a number of cheap and decent hotels in Mascota that he would recommend instead, then ride to a campground along the coast, end up camping in La Manzanilla and then it is a 5 hour ride up 80 to home.

You can call me at 766-3225 to discuss and I'll fill you in on the local adventure riding group.  We are going to take a fun run to Tapalpa and back on Wednesday if you'd like to consider joining us.

Archived