Chapala.com Webboard

Moving with Freight Truck

Zeb

I have some notes that I took down from this forum (I think) but cannot find the post. Someone mentioned having from his belongings down from Portland fro $400.00.

I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive to get things moved. Our first order of business is we want to find some way to store our belongings by the border prior to moving them. As of now, we would still be on a tourist visa when we come, so no option to move it all at first anyway.

We looked into PODS, but after reading their rental agreement, the terms are unacceptable to us. We need a way to get all the border location, then store temporarily, then move, so three step process. PODS rental agreement is ridiculous. It seems you can't store anything totaling more than $5,000, along with a monster list of restrictions.

First any suggestions on storage that won't cost a fortune.

When we moved to Lake Chapala in 2001, we towed a small UHaul trailer behind our loaded SUV with a pod on top. We dropped the trailer load at a self storage in Laredo and turned in the trailer. A few weeks later, we returned and re-stuffed the SUV until it could hold no more. A few old books and things hit the dumpster and we were on our way back to Chapala the next morning. No questions at the border and, admittedly, we did not check out of Mexico, or back in, with either Aduana or Banjercito for the short trip. That will be up to you, as things are more strict now. Since deposits and legallity are both involved, I think it would be wise to be more cautious and comply with the rules.

Archived