Chapala.com Webboard

Is that a scam

Every time I open my Yahoo account (after entering my password) this message appears:

Recently, there's been a rise in security incidents on the web. While we continue to work hard to keep Yahoo's network secure, we're asking users to help us keep their accounts safe.

Should I open it and see? I heard not long ago that there was something similar with Google.

Thank ;you.

My husband tells me to put my mouse cursor over the link in the e-mail but not to click on it. If the URL doesn't match the "sender" it's probably a scam and should be deleted. You'd be surprised how many phony messages from banks and other institutions turn out to have been sent by someone else, someone who does not have your best interests at heart.

Hope this helps.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Yahoo has recently been trying to update their security, and I have seen this message on several machines. It is a poorly implemented and suspicious looking method, and there is no assurance that some scammers are not taking advantage of it and inserting their own baloney links. So if you can get rid of it without doing anything, and your email is fine, that is the way to go.

I finally clicked on it and they suggested to change my pasword. So I did and the message is gone.

But now, I am being botheed by Mozilla Fox who want me to update. I did it and I hate the new version.

How can I get rid of it and return to my old one.

You can get version 28 from this page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox. Then you should go into Tools > Options > Advanced > Update tab... and turn off auto-updates. On my system, version 30 does not function properly. For the average user, they've hidden the toolbars, which you can get back by right-clicking on the upper portion and selecting Menu Bar.

All older versions can be found in this FTP directory: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

Archived