Chapala.com Webboard

Majic Jack Plus

mike7129

I have seen no reports that they have actually instituted the WiFi yet. That being said, I am getting lots of reports that the new 2014 model suffers from an inability to connect to the Internet, thus providing nothing but error messages for many users. Error C2003, or something similar.

That is interesting. Even their own site support says the wifi has not been incorporated yet. And since the 2014 model is only a couple of months old on the market, I'd be curious to see that in action, Bunyan. Would certainly be a help to others. (By the way, MJ works on the premise that it needs Internet.)

Written by Sean Brown on December 19, 2013 in 2014 magicJack plus: The device features 2 USB ports, Internet and phone ports (same as the previous model), and a micro SDIO port. This SDIO port, which stands for Secure Digital Input Output, has been found on many types of electronic devices for several years. Although there are numerous functions of the SDIO port, an SDIO port allows devices to interface to Wi-Fi. Although the New magicJack 2014 is lacking Wi-Fi capability, the presence of the SDIO port indicates that the company likely has big plans to incorporate the capability into the company’s services in the near future. http://www.magicjackwifi.org/

I cannot find any reports that are accurate... the guy above doesn't even know what an SDIO port is for, I guess. Doesn't look like an SDIO port to me (various sizes used for your memory cards for cameras, etc.), but if it is wifi friendly, then he would be referring to some future add-on that provides a wireless receiver perhaps.

I am once again incensed at MJs treatment of their customers. I have one that was renewed in March, at a cost of $30... PLUS 10$ to renew... PLUS 10$ for a Canadian number. And the MJ had a message waiting on it the other day: time to renew! Upon contacting support, I was told that because it had originally been "activated" in December (sometime back), then it had to renewed on that date... otherwise, we lose the use of the MJ. How they plan to cut us off, I have no idea... but guess what? I'll be cutting them off long before that happens.

This OOMA service you may have seen ads for lately works great: I installed one for a client. One-time purchase fee, works like a Vonage, but good for life.

I have MJ+ service and love it. I also have an Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy 3) and have installed the MagicJack app on it.

See: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack

I can make MJ calls from my tablet WITHOUT having the MJ+ plugged into my computer or router.

I do have to have WiFi service and I presume that the faster the WiFi connection is, the better quality of calls I experience.

Google Play Store says it's free but when I renewed my MJ number a couple of weeks ago, I was charged an extra $10 for the tablet app.

We bought 2 MagicJack Pluses last fall and have been using them with wifi internet, they are not connected to our computers or router. They work fine, one from Lakeside and one from Texas. There's a bit of a lag when you start the call, and occasional background noise.

I just logged on to my MagicJack account to see what hardware I have -- too lazy to get up and look at it -- and one phone is a "magicJack PLUS" and the other is a "2014 magicJack PLUS"

This is really a timely topic for my wife and me. We currently have Vonnage and, other than the cost, have been pleased with the service. The cost difference between the 2 is substancial and saving $200 per year would be wonderful. When we switched to Vonnage we were able to keep our Seattle #. Would we be able to keep our US number with MJ? Also, calls FROM the US to Mexico appear to have a fee for the caller. Is that the case? Thanks

I have MJ+ service and love it. I also have an Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy 3) and have installed the MagicJack app on it.

See: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack

I can make MJ calls from my tablet WITHOUT having the MJ+ plugged into my computer or router.

I do have to have WiFi service and I presume that the faster the WiFi connection is, the better quality of calls I experience.

Google Play Store says it's free but when I renewed my MJ number a couple of weeks ago, I was charged an extra $10 for the tablet app.

As a further to.... Yesterday, while waiting for our flight to Guadalajara, I used my MJ app on my tablet to call my daughter (elsewhere in Ontario). It worked very well !

Bunyan: Perfectly Okay, just needed to know for everyone's sake... not that it matters, because holdrja says wifi is working for them. I still cannot verify this, as I cannot perform this feat with the one 2014 MJ to which I have access.

goodcat: when you pick an MJ number, it is preferable to have one in the city from which (most of) your calls will be originating. Everyone in that area code can call Mexico for free. Anyone outside that area code will pay a long-distance charge as if they were calling that area code. For example, people calling you in Mexico, from Winnipeg to your Winnipeg number, pay nothing. People calling you from Ottawa pay long-distance to Winnipeg.

I bought the original Magic Jack last September in Vancouver, BC. Went into London Drugs to buy the Magic Jack Plus and was told they have as many returned as sold. He advised they have had no problems with the original model.

Don't want it and will sell it. Never been used. I'm staying with my Vonage.

Contact me if you're interested.

765-3833 have answering machine. Will return any calls.

Archived