Chapala.com Webboard

Renting cell phones for 3 months ?

Greetings to all. Can someone tell me if it is possible to rent a cell phone in the Ajijic area for only 3 months ? We will of course need a prepaid plan for local minutes as well ? Our Canadian service provider charges an arm and a leg for us to buy minutes here for use while we are in Mexico, therefore we are wondering if we can just get temporary prepaid local call plans there with of course the phone. Thanks.

Greetings to all. Can someone tell me if it is possible to rent a cell phone in the Ajijic area for only 3 months ? We will of course need a prepaid plan for local minutes as well ? Our Canadian service provider charges an arm and a leg for us to buy minutes here for use while we are in Mexico, therefore we are wondering if we can just get temporary prepaid local call plans there with of course the phone. Thanks.

Even it that would exist... far better to buy one, even for 3 months. With most cell phones, that you can buy, they give you up to 300 pesos calling time and include the cell phone for sometimes a little more than 300 pesos (phone + calling time) in total. Furthermore, after you leave, you could sell the phone or make someone happy with it.

Rony

Merci pour le tuyau, Monsieur Le Belge !

Mais, je vous en prie, mon cher !

putting a chip in cost about the same as a new phone

Just got one from TelCel for a friend...$149 pesos which included $50 pesos of airtime. I don't recall they had a phone that cheap, but we weren't shopping for one either. Even the $300-600 peso ones are hard to hear on, but that may or may not be an issue in your case.

We have an extra phone you can use....you need only put a "chip" in it and pay as you use it...return it to us when you are done.

Fred Habacht

That's very generous of you Fred. I will PM you. Many thanks.

One question: Were you planning on just using it local? If so, above is the way you want to go.

If you want to stay in touch with folks NOB a local cell is not a good option.

Gilligan I am also bringing a Magicjack Plus thing that I recently purchased... hoping that it works...!

4 Years ago I purchased a Nokia at OXXO for 399 pesos. By the way, this has a loud speaker phone if wanted, plus many more functions I don't ever need. :rolleyes: Also during one of my "Senior Moments" phone was left out overnight and got about an inch of rain. Phone still working.

Archived