Chapala.com Webboard

Is anyone traveling from Ontario or Michigan to Chapala area in July?

We are trying to find a way back to Mexico in late June or July with one dog. We are leaving here (Chapala) in about a week to drive north and due to the car import situation, we plan to sell the car while we are home visiting. The trouble is that we are ready to return, we have a dog and cannot fly her due to her age and some health concerns. If there is anyone with plans to return to this area in the mid summer we would be glad to share driving and expenses.

I have checked railways and bus lines in the U.S. and they do not accept animals for travel, and flights are out of the question unless she can travel on board; that can't happen because she is too big to fit in a kennel under a seat. She is a medium sized terrier about the size of a cocker spaniel.

Please PM me if you are interested.

If all else fails, you might have to rent a car and drive it to a border city, where you can turn it in and walk across the border. Once in Mexico, either rent a car or purchase one for the remainder of your trip. It may be the only way; short of finding a new home for the dog. Of course, there may be a car and driver service which would meet you at the border and drive you south.

Thanks for the suggestion; a new home for the dog is absolutely out of the question. I have checked into renting a car from Detroit to Laredo and may have to go that route in the end but it is sooooo expensive. I hadn't thought about buying a car in Laredo but that might be a good solution. I was thinking that I could hire someone to drive to the border and collect us but maybe purchasing a car would be more cost effective since we have to do that eventually anyway

If you do plan to purchase a new car, you might want to contact a dealer in Jalisco, to see if they can arrange for Jalisco plates through a cooperating dealer in Laredo; it might be possible and would eliminate the hassle of changing registration to your Jalisco address. Of course, you could buy that car here, now, and drive it to the border and put it in storage in Laredo, or even Detroit, continuing north in your Canadian car. You would then have your own Mexican car waiting for you to return on your southbound trip. The extra gasoline is the only added expense and would probably be less than car rentals, insurance, etc.; certainly more convenient.

Archived