Chapala.com Webboard

shawarmex

Starlady

If you have not tried it, Shawarmex, which is right next to the gelato shop in San Antonio, is worth a visit. Claudia, Fernando, her brother and her son, Luis run it. The food is Palestinian with the best dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) I have ever had. Fresh, as in made to order. She sells their secret family recipe salad dressing-oil, cilantro and parsley and ??? Yum. We find ourselves there when we want a reliable, reasonably priced "fast food" meal.

We have been there several times and are becoming addicted. Yes, the stuffed grape leaves and the salad are the best you can imagine. Having lived several years in the Middle East, their food takes me back and evokes many fond memories of the cuisine from that part of the world. It is hard to beat for flavor and is very healthy. We will visit often. We also like the Cairo place in Ajijc, but it lacks parking. At Shawarmex, we can drive right up to the door.

I think its Fernando's place and, his sister, Claudia is helping out.... but who cares. It is awesome! I can't remember how its spelled, but I order the Kofka and salad with pita (Is that correct?) It is two meat patties, a lot of great salad with the wonderful dressing and a delicious pita. I eat have and make a stuffed pita sandwich for later. I try and order grape leaves to go so I can enjoy them as a snack, in the evening. I also order double sometimes when I have to bring appies to someone's house. Now, you can order a combination meal that serves five for a reasonable cost.

What I really like is that this is a place where you know what you will get. Very consistant in quantity and quality.

• 2 weeks later...

We ate there today and it was fantastic!! We liked it much better than the Middle Eastern restaurant near the Ajijic Plaza. This restaurant brought chips and salsa right away to tide us over while taking our order and preparing our food. They also give large portions ... so much so that half of mine and 1/4 of my husband's is in the refrigerator for tomorrow. This was never the case at the one near the Ajijic Plaza (sorry ...don't remember it's name). When we ate there we always had to go for an ice cream ... today we couldn't even think about it. The service was excellent and the place is very clean and orderly. We will be back soon.

Archived