Chapala.com Webboard

Grassfed beef?

Starlady

Hopefully More Liana will weigh in on this with more info, but traditionally cows here in Mexico as well as all over Central America are raised only on grass, as well as being slaughtered, butchered and sold at market very quickly, resulting in beef that is far leaner and healthier than grain-fed beef that is also tougher than shoe leather if it isn't aged (by you) or stewed. That's why the only reliably tender steak is arrachera, which has been marinated and tenderized before sale.

Sonora beef is almost certainly going to be either grain-fed or at least grain-finished, which results in fattier but much less healthy meat. I don't know of a local source for dry-aged, 100% grass fed beef here at Lakeside, so I content myself with stewing cuts from the local butchers and avoid the U.S. grain-fed beef at places like Tony's, Wal Mart and Costco. Most expats I would think would do the opposite as we were all raised on grain-fed beef, but a quick read of MIchael Pollan's "The Ominvore's Dilemma" is enough to make anyone swear off of grain-fed beef.

Hopefully More Liana will weigh in on this with more info, but traditionally cows here in Mexico as well as all over Central America are raised only on grass, as well as being slaughtered, butchered and sold at market very quickly, resulting in beef that is far leaner and healthier than grain-fed beef that is also tougher than shoe leather if it isn't aged (by you) or stewed. That's why the only reliably tender steak is arrachera, which has been marinated and tenderized before sale.

Sonora beef is almost certainly going to be either grain-fed or at least grain-finished, which results in fattier but much less healthy meat. I don't know of a local source for dry-aged, 100% grass fed beef here at Lakeside, so I content myself with stewing cuts from the local butchers and avoid the U.S. grain-fed beef at places like Tony's, Wal Mart and Costco. Most expats I would think would do the opposite as we were all raised on grain-fed beef, but a quick read of MIchael Pollan's "The Ominvore's Dilemma" is enough to make anyone swear off of grain-fed beef.

Costco is the only place we've been buying steaks and chops. Tony's is Mexican beef that is tough as shoe leather. I haven't tried Walmart, although a good friend has and said that every steak she had was tough.

sonoras filet mignon is excellent. i dont know the info about hormones etc. but i get a good feeling about it. marinated meat is not acceptable.

I've had both the Sonora and the Angus from Walmart. Both good, the Angus better IMHO. The Sonora is too lean for me. I used to raise cattle on grass but gave them some grain commencing 6 weeks prior to slaughter. That provided just enough fat. We dry aged for 4 weeks.

Archived