Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular can't renew or enroll foreigners

re read the post, the wife part was addressed to"ajijic". what i meant by publicity was mainly locals talking about it. maybe something in the reporter. if it never got to court but the head guy straightened it out, that would be good. i think the mexican govt is unclear & confused. they dont think things through. basically they are full of xxxx. they want the $$, & lie. OR they are so disorganized that every office has another story. i would apply for the insurance if spencer straightened it out. i went through almost 50,000 usd on medical here. if something critical happends, theres no option. the $ is gone. remember the long thread i started about a discount card? first you get the curp then this then that then they went 5 times, 10 times, said this said that said no said xxxxyou, etc etc. thread was so off the walls that it was a comedy routine. maybe 2 people got a "card" easy, maybe i read that. the discount for the ETN bus was 50%. i would have saved like 500 pesos. but in exchange, IF it worked out, there would have been weeks of abuse. so ill suffer abuse for 500 pesos? if something doesnt go "right" the first time, it never gets better. best to wait untill the system makes a change. i always said, this place is sleeze. SMA is more of a blue state.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The suit would be fun and practice for me and I already spoke to another attorney buddy in Guadalajara about it as yes it is about winning for us as well as helping and letting them place faces with the calls so they know the people have someone fighting for them and that they need to justify their actions and answer for them, it is my way of doing things and perhaps some of you have a different way, to each his own but I would like to obtain favorable results.

If you want a suit you can win, file over the IMSS rule denying people treatment who have chronic conditions and illnesses.

I'm sure Administrative Rules are instituted here are passed similar to the way U.S. agencies' administrative rules are implemented. The rules reflect the law, not change the law. Rules govern how hearings are held, identification used, etc.

When a rule is proposed, people from all sides and interests are allowed to object or confirm the rule. Attorneys state the legality of the rule. It can take weeks or months for a new rule to be confirmed.

In the law for IMSS there isn't anything about denying treatment for voluntary subscribers yet IMSS wrote rules denying treatment.

Since IMSS law doesn't deny treatment for voluntary subscribers but the agency has a rule that changed the law, you can sue and win that one. That would help not only expats but elderly Mexicans who are voluntary subscribers and who are also denied medical care. The elderly are the ones who suffer the most with this rule because they have more chronic conditions.

There is no SP administrative rule denying foreigners membership in SP. That is something local offices made up on their own. Calling the main office will fix that problem. When asked where the local managers get their information allowing them to deny foreigners membership they attempt to read the law, not an administrative rule, because there isn't a rule denying foreigners. SP hasn't violated the law. Some local managers have been mistaken about the law.

Now back to the topic. Based on a call to Seguro Popular in Mexico City at 9:05 am today, Seguro Popular is a Federal program and all those who are residents and provide the required documents are to be accepted by the program. They do not anticipate changes with the new President in the fall. These are the same people who formally initiate a complaint as my wife has done (and they followed through) and are the main contact for all of Mexico. One can hire as many and whomever they want but I would be totally surprised if you got a different answer.

When my wife has gone to the local office and they tried to implement road blocks such as trying to turn down one with no birth certificate but they had a CURP. She simply got out her phone. She said she was calling SP in Mexico City and they immediately said it was OK. Even the local manager and all staff are now very cooperative and she goes out of her way to be professional, respectful, friendly.There are no longer any misunderstandings. :-) Not one of her clients have been denied even on the first time! Two years ago before she started facilitating every expat was turned down locally. My point is be very informed and be ready for obstacles. Be respectful and persistent when needed. Honey works way better than angry words. Mexicans think all expats are wealthy and to their standards we are better off but it is amazing how many live here on US SS or Canadian government pensions.

The requirements to enroll are each of the following along with a copy:

1. Passport

2. What we normally refer to as a FM2/3 or Inmigrado card

3. An utility bill within 90 days preferably in your name but not a must ... only electric, telephone or water (not Telecable)

4. Birth certificate (not a must as per point below)

5. Your CURP ID number (18 digits made up with letters from your name, birth date and numbers. This number is usually on a FM-3/2 visa and a separate card can be printed out at the following web site and then you can plasticize it.

http://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/

Fees

Fees for coverage depends on how you answer questions such as: do you have cement, dirt or tile floor in your house; do you have a refrigerator and stove; how many TV´s; bathroom; number of bedrooms; do you work, do you own a car, etc?

These questions are computer generated and asked by the receptionist. The amount you may pay is also computer generated so I can not answer in advance if you will be charged a fee or the amount.

If you are retired, do not own property and do not work that usually means you will not be charged for Seguro Popular and you will not be asked your retirement income.

Recently, clients reported home ownership yet did not pay a fee. As a matter of fact not one of my wife's clients has been asked to pay a fee and answered questions honestly. They would have if asked but never a fee has been requested.

This is the same answer I gave a week ago and anyone could have called and saved all the drama. And, the same people Spencer or any lawyer, facilitator, Mexican, ex-pat calls. geesh lol

Ok, we called SP in Mexico City and have a file number to resolve this issue and they will enroll foreigners. We are calling the local and state office to give them the resolution file number so that they will have been notified and will stop blocking the enrollment of foreigners.

Ok, we called SP in Mexico City and have a file number to resolve this issue and they will enroll foreigners. We are calling the local and state office to give them the resolution file number so that they will have been notified and will stop blocking the enrollment of foreigners.

Thank you for helping the community with the local SP offices and obtaining a file number for this issue. Hopefully, this won't happen again to other foreigners.

Do the foreigners need to have an FM2/3?

Thanks to Spencer's efforts, we were able to have our policy from March cancelled and a new policy started with the Chapala office. The Chapala office staff is very helpful vs the Joco staff person who does enrollment. We provided the information required by SP to Chapala and the policy was issue with no cost. This was the same information provided to the Joco office in March and we were to pay $516 pesos every three months for both of us. We have no problem paying for coverage, however, it appears we were advised wrong by Joco in March. Hopefully, now other foreigners with FM2 or FM3 cars will have no problems. Thanks again to Spencer and his staff for resolving the problem for this area.

Yes, it is a federal program. However, you need a utility bill showing your address (does not have to be in your name) and they assign you a local clinic. I realize I am in SMA, but their are 3 clinics here and they assign you to the one nearest your home. Once you have coverage you are covered throughout the country at any SP facility.

• 6 months later...

I have used the SP clinic in Ajijic on numerous occasions and the only problem I have with it is the long wait. The last time I was there I waited for 5 1/2 hours just to get my medications renewed. I am now wondering if they have an opthomologist. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

'chartiec', on 10 Jul 2012 - 18:21, said:snapback.png

Can anyone tell me where in Chapala is the Seguro Popular clinic where we can register?

Anyone know the address?

From Ajijic, go to the main street in Chapala and go through the light. You should be on Morelas. Drive about 4 blocks to Guerrero and turn left. Turn left at the next intersection and you should see SP on the left. Hope this helps.

Archived