Chapala.com Webboard

JOSE'S PLACE - CHAPALA

kindred

By far, in my opinion, one of the best dining out values is Jose's Place in the breezeway (little alleyway) to the right of the Centro Mercado in Chapala. For a couple of years, I have been getting his sea bass or white fish and it is superb, but lately I can't resist his salmon. Absolutely sensational. I don't know how Jose cooks it -- looks like it is grilled in a pan, but it is super moist, cooked thoroughly and has a fantastic taste. Yesterday a friend and I actually shared one salmon meal and it was quite enough for both of us and he is a big man. Also includes french bread with an herb butter you apply yourself, delicious and moist rice and a nice little salad with tasty dressing. The ribs look really good, also, but I am sold on Gloria's ribs on Friday in El Chante.

Yes,living in ,Chapala means a short walk to Jose". The hamburgers are also good.

You should also try the other two placces near by. Fonda for breakfast is a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

By far, in my opinion, one of the best dining out values is Jose's Place in the breezeway (little alleyway) to the right of the Centro Mercado in Chapala. For a couple of years, I have been getting his sea bass or white fish and it is superb, but lately I can't resist his salmon. Absolutely sensational. I don't know how Jose cooks it -- looks like it is grilled in a pan, but it is super moist, cooked thoroughly and has a fantastic taste. Yesterday a friend and I actually shared one salmon meal and it was quite enough for both of us and he is a big man. Also includes french bread with an herb butter you apply yourself, delicious and moist rice and a nice little salad with tasty dressing. The ribs look really good, also, but I am sold on Gloria's ribs on Friday in El Chante.

I think José's ribs are the best, tender meat that flakes off the bones with just using your fork and the potato salad is made to North American tastes, not too sweet balanced with the vinegar. That's my treat every 4-6 weeks or so or when a guest is here from NOB.

No, this José has been in Chapala for years and years, as "José's Mexican-American Food". It isn't a fancy place, but the food is spectacular; from a simple bowl of Chili to his exquisite Salmon.

Archived