Chapala.com Webboard

Water in Chapala??

lorilee

Does anyone know whether the water in Chapala Haciendas is hard or soft?

We're wondering about bringing down our water softener if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Lorka

The water in Chapala Haciendas is not treated, so it's pretty safe to say it's "hard" (and non-potable).

I mistakenly drank out of my faucet for three weeks. My under the sink water purification system was put out of commission due to a power surge that also burned a number of my appliances. I did not know that this system was non-operational until I looked under the sink and noticed that there was no little green light on the system. Anyway...neither I nor my partner became ill. I mentioned this to one of our frac. board members and he noted that the water is quite good and shared that water studies have been done to attest to this. Regarding hardness, I do see mineral deposits around the faucets, etc.

To shed light on salt in softened water I have copied the following article. To compare the 12.5 mg of salt in a softened 8 oz glass of water we should note there is 120 mg of salt in an 8 oz glass of milk, almost 10 times more.

Softened water is low in salt compared to most beverages you drink.

TioBob

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

Question

Water softeners: How much sodium do they add?I'm on a low-sodium diet, so I'm looking for ways to reduce my sodium intake. How much sodium does a water softener add to our tap water?

Answer

from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.

The amount of sodium a water softener adds to tap water depends on the "hardness" of your water. Hard water contains large amounts of calcium and magnesium — dissolved from the soil by rainwater. Some water-softening systems remove calcium and magnesium ions from hard water and replace them with sodium ions. The higher the concentration of calcium and magnesium, the more sodium needed to soften the water. Still, the amount of sodium in softened water that was originally very hard shouldn't be cause for concern.

The majority of sodium in the average diet comes from table salt and processed foods. The water from your tap may add a small amount of sodium to your diet, depending on the type of softener you use, but not a significant amount. As a general rule, an 8-ounce (236 milliliters) glass of softened tap water contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium. According to the Food and Drug Administration nutrient guidelines, this is in the very low-sodium range. The best way to decrease the sodium in your diet is by cutting back on table salt and processed foods.

Actually since softeners replace hardness with sodium, the answer is that sodium is equal to the hardness removed. This varies by location and how hard your water is. One age old solution is to regenerate with potassium chloride rather than sodiun chloride (commonly called salt). You need 60% more due to molecular weight differences and of course it costs more.

If you wish to remove the hardness rather than EXCHANGE it for sodium, use reverse osmosis.

Does anyone know whether the water in Chapala Haciendas is hard or soft?

We're wondering about bringing down our water softener if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Lorka

Haaarrrrddddd -- like the sound of Canadian curlers!!!! LOL

Is RO available here? Anyone using it on a whole house basis?

We had an undersink RO system installed two months ago by H2Ole located on the Carreterra near Tony's. It works well since our water in Riberas is extremely hard, brown and sandy. They assess your needs and do a good job in assisting you in finding the appropriate resolution to your hard water issues. We also had a Zeolite filter installed as well which helped tremendously with our brown, brakish household and bath water.

Archived