Chapala.com Webboard

bringing pets into and out of Mexico

katattack

I am curious as to what the procedure is for bringing a cat into Mexico and also being able to bring them back into the states. I want to be able to stay in Chapala for at least a month and my cat suffers terribly when I leave her at home for so long.

You will have to have up to date shots and a veterinarian's letter of 'good health and freedom from both internal and external parasites'. You are allowed no more than two pets per person and the airlines are more restrictive now, so if you fly, be prepared to pay the freight for that pet passenger and note that some airlines won't allow them in the warm seasons and some others, not at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any problems bringing them back across border to the US? Will I have to take them to a Mexican Vet for the same, clear bill of health and such?

No - there are no requirements for cats as long as they look healthy. Some kind person did post a link not to long ago to the regs about this - but I failed to bookmark it.

No - there are no requirements for cats as long as they look healthy. Some kind person did post a link not to long ago to the regs about this - but I failed to bookmark it.

Importation of Pets and Other Animals Into the United States

PET BIRDS

CATS AND DOGS

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has regulations on the importation of dogs and cats into the United States. In general, they require that dogs be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry, except for puppies younger than 3 months and dogs originated or located for 6 months in areas considered to be free of rabies. A dog with an unexpired health certificate meets these requirements. We strongly suggest you visit the CDC web site at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/index.htm or call them at 1-800-232-4636, for more information on their regulations. There is no vaccination regulation for cats.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has certain restrictions on the importation of dogs. Collies, shepherds, and other dogs that are imported from any part of the world except Canada, Mexico, and regions of Central America and the West Indies and that are to be used in the handling of livestock must be inspected and quarantined at the port of entry for a sufficient time to determine their freedom from tapeworm.

Archived