Chapala.com Webboard

El Hole in One Gourmet Dinner Tonight

tigerlily

You're gonna have to go and check out the Chef's creations. He's a really cool guy, and his stuff is wowzer. Very "gourmand", he has trained at culinary institutes in Guadalajara, and knows what he is doing. He was interviewed extensively on Sunday evening, and a few details will appear in an ad in probably the upcoming Reporter.

He doesn't just cook "a steak": it's some kind of tower affair with a huge ball of meat nestled on a portobello mushroom laden with gorgonzola cheese. His lamb shank is a huge affair, beautifully prepared and presented. If all these dishes taste half as good as they look, Newinajijic will have to reflect on his statement.

Guest RevImmigrant

The food sounds interesting. Is the dining room upstairs?

Since John brought up the topic of "gourmet food," it appears to me that plain food well-prepared with good ingredients, such as Kjottkaker (Norwegian meatballs) or Frikadellen (German meat patties with or without gravy)or Oba Chan's chicken (a Japanese recipe for Grandmother's Chicken that won the National Chicken Cooking Contest in 1978)is better than an attempt at fancy food that is not well-prepared or that uses less than the best ingredients.

You're gonna have to go and check out the Chef's creations. He's a really cool guy, and his stuff is wowzer. Very "gourmand", he has trained at culinary institutes in Guadalajara, and knows what he is doing. He was interviewed extensively on Sunday evening, and a few details will appear in an ad in probably the upcoming Reporter.

He doesn't just cook "a steak": it's some kind of tower affair with a huge ball of meat nestled on a portobello mushroom laden with gorgonzola cheese. His lamb shank is a huge affair, beautifully prepared and presented. If all these dishes taste half as good as they look, Newinajijic will have to reflect on his statement.

Four of us ate there tonight and all the dishes were excellent. My filet steak was cooked exactly as requested, medium rare, and was the best steak I've had in the overall area in the last 5 years. The lambshank was also the best eaten in the area and the pasta eaters enjoyed their dish.

Pancho Montes plans on changing the menu every three weeks or so - serving a limited menu well prepared - a recipe for success I think.

We will be back. The young chef is a find and we wish him well.

Four of us also ate there last night: two had the filet, one the pasta, and one a fabulous piece of white fish (not on the menu) prepared to a dazzling look by Eric Le Chef. I'd agree with bournemouth that the steak was superior. Everybody was completely impressed with their dishes, and you can't get a piece of filet with such taste or design effort for $95 pesos anywhere.

Interesting note: Eric is Chef at Number 4, and he is still going to school to study the culinary arts, graduating in August. I hope he finds the work a tad more relaxing at HoleInOne than the overpriced, facetious Number 4. I'm curious what the owners there have to say about his outside duties.

(Currently, hours are 3 to 11 for the special menu, on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays.)

There is no such thing as a Gourmet Dinner or Gourmet Restaurant in Ajijic or at Lakeside.

Just what makes you an expert on these things? In my opinion you are rude to other forum posters, crude as when you do a review you like, you also dis other restaurants in the mean time. As a former food critic from a Sacramento, CA newspaper, that is one of the big no-no's: don't compare the restaurant you are reviewing with other restaurants as someday you might need to review them.

We have been there a few times and I just haven't been able to figure out the burgers, so one day we were there and they were making them and I watched and asked as I thought they had some kind of filler in them. The ingredients were beef hamburger, onions, celery, parsley and mustard, that was it, I hate mustard and I can't even taste it, I think they are very good.

It has kind of taken the place of the Thirsty Turtle for us, real close to home also, we can walk.

Just what makes you an expert on these things? In my opinion you are rude to other forum posters, crude as when you do a review you like, you also dis other restaurants in the mean time. As a former food critic from a Sacramento, CA newspaper, that is one of the big no-no's: don't compare the restaurant you are reviewing with other restaurants as someday you might need to review them.

Great Post. We wondered about the definition of the word expert so we looked it up.

EXPERT.....EX is a has been, PERT is a DRIP under pressure.

Now if someone can come up with a definition of NEW IN AJIJIC CRITIC.

Great Post. We wondered about the definition of the word expert so we looked it up.

EXPERT.....EX is a has been, PERT is a DRIP under pressure.

Now if someone can come up with a definition of NEW IN AJIJIC CRITIC.

I love a good dictionary! :lol:

Archived