Chapala.com Webboard

Terraza Quitupan

pittipat

Last week on a sunnyafternoon (what other kind is there?) we tried Terraza Quitupan, the newrestaurant on the lake side of the carretera in a yellow/orange building. It’snear Villa Nova. It’s a left turn at the large sign for the Mocel kindergarten.I imagine that, like us, many people were hesitant to drive in, as there is asloping driveway and barely room for two cars.

However, we ventured in andwill do so again. It’s a delightful place with a bright and pleasant diningarea and a full bar. Adolfo tends a wood-burning open pit where you can see the lamb, ribs, chorizo andchickens cooking.

Chips and salsas are servedright away and drink orders taken. We ordered the pork ribs—after we wereoffered a taste of them--which were served with a fine fresh cactus salad,beans, guacamole and the very best tortillas I’ve ever had. Service was verynice, efficient and friendly. Wine by the glass—a red Casillero—was 50 p, whichwe thought was a bit high, especially considering the food prices which wefound very reasonable.

So I returned today to getmore information in order to pass it along to you. The owner is named Adolfo.He and his wife work together. I mentioned what seemed to us to be a bigparking problem. He said customers could park across the street or turn leftonto a sloping driveway before you come to the restaurant (going west). Thereis a foot path leading to the restaurant.

Especialidad campestre:Lamb, 110 p; pork 99 p; chorizo 75 p; pollo 80 p., all served with beans,cactus salad, guacamole. But there is much more on the menu, includinghamburgers (35 p) and fish dishes.

I mentioned that peoplemight find the 50 p charge for wine bythe glass (which is actually lower than what it says on the menu) and he seemedto understand and be willing to serve wine at a lower price. He mentioned 40 or45 p.

Telephone #: 766 3179

Adolfo Cisneros

Pittipat

Two of us had lunch there today. After a taste of the lamb and the pork, I had the pork and my friend had the chicken. We both had the cactus salad and some guacamole with our meals. The portions were generous.

His chips and dips were very good.

The service was friendly and efficient and the setting very comfortable. We will go back.

As previously stated parking is an issue. I did pull in in front of the place but as pointed out, you can enter the lower road before getting to the restaurant from Ajijic where there is plenty of parking and then just walk a very short distance to the restaurant.

Last week on a sunnyafternoon (what other kind is there?) we tried Terraza Quitupan, the newrestaurant on the lake side of the carretera in a yellow/orange building. It'snear Villa Nova. It's a left turn at the large sign for the Mocel kindergarten.I imagine that, like us, many people were hesitant to drive in, as there is asloping driveway and barely room for two cars.

However, we ventured in andwill do so again. It's a delightful place with a bright and pleasant diningarea and a full bar. Adolfo tends a wood-burning open pit where you can see the lamb, ribs, chorizo andchickens cooking.

Chips and salsas are servedright away and drink orders taken. We ordered the pork ribs—after we wereoffered a taste of them--which were served with a fine fresh cactus salad,beans, guacamole and the very best tortillas I've ever had. Service was verynice, efficient and friendly. Wine by the glass—a red Casillero—was 50 p, whichwe thought was a bit high, especially considering the food prices which wefound very reasonable.

So I returned today to getmore information in order to pass it along to you. The owner is named Adolfo.He and his wife work together. I mentioned what seemed to us to be a bigparking problem. He said customers could park across the street or turn leftonto a sloping driveway before you come to the restaurant (going west). Thereis a foot path leading to the restaurant.

Especialidad campestre:Lamb, 110 p; pork 99 p; chorizo 75 p; pollo 80 p., all served with beans,cactus salad, guacamole. But there is much more on the menu, includinghamburgers (35 p) and fish dishes.

I mentioned that peoplemight find the 50 p charge for wine bythe glass (which is actually lower than what it says on the menu) and he seemedto understand and be willing to serve wine at a lower price. He mentioned 40 or45 p.

Telephone #: 766 3179

Adolfo Cisneros

Pittipat

PS: Adolfo also wanted us all to know that Carlo Rossi is served by the glass at 30 p.

My wife and I had a pleasant and tasy meal here this evening. We were the only ones there so I hope others will give it a try soon. Adolfo and his wife are delightful and attentive. Adolfo does a great job roasting the meats over the charcoal pit and his wife specializes in the seafood items and fresh made tortillas. If your coming with a group during the week, call ahead so that they will have plenty of meet on the barbie. Otherwise, they only prepare it on the weekends.

My wife and I had a pleasant and tasy meal here this evening. We were the only ones there so I hope others will give it a try soon. Adolfo and his wife are delightful and attentive. Adolfo does a great job roasting the meats over the charcoal pit and his wife specializes in the seafood items and fresh made tortillas. If your coming with a group during the week, call ahead so that they will have plenty of meet on the barbie. Otherwise, they only prepare it on the weekends.

What are the hours they are open ?

We made our first (definitely won't be our last) visit to Terraza Quitupan today. The reviews are 'right on' and then some. It was excellent. The husband/wife owners are so deliteful. We had arrachera. So tender 'like budda'. The guacamole was some of the best we've had. While we waited, Adolfo kept us busy with samples of his meats. The lamb was extradorinary. We'll be back for that, for sure. Really good chorizo, too. His wife made the tortillas right there in front of us and they were fantastic. She's a master. The prices were very reasonable. Plentiful portions. Enough to take some home.

We were the only ones there (late afternoon) and enjoyed their company and the chats. Adolfo surprised us with a Cazuela con Tequila after dinner. Oh, my....never had one before and it was wonderful.

The parking is not as tricky as it may seem. Going west, take the immediate left just past Roberto's and Lowell's car wash (both on the right side of the Cte) then quick right onto the lateral. Drive down the lateral path as far as you can, park, then walk a few steps further to Terraza Quitupan. Big yellow building.

We can't recommend it enough.

M-F Noon-9PM

Sat/Sun 9AM (they serve breakfast on weekends)-9PM

The Liquor and Wine prices have increased quite a bit over the past year at PAZ Liquors next to Super Lake.

They have John, especially the imported things like their single malts.

My comment was due to posts in various threads that commented on the price of wine at places like Hacienda Ajijic, Nr 4 and Chili Bang. So Terrzaz Quitupan can purchase four liters of Carlo Rossi for 200 pesos (today’s price at La Paz). That works out to 50 pesos per liter. A 6 oz glass of wine (very generous, as many places would call 4 oz a glass) is about 150 ml. This will provide 6 2/3 glasses for each liter, 13 glasses per 2 liters (allowing for spillage) or 26 generous glasses of wine for each jug of Carlo Rossi.

26 glasses times 30 pesos works out to 780 pesos per jug, a markup of 390 percent. And more if the glasses of wine are not so generous.

I’m not sure that Number 4 has that high a markup.

They have John, especially the imported things like their single malts.

My comment was due to posts in various threads that commented on the price of wine at places like Hacienda Ajijic, Nr 4 and Chili Bang. So Terrzaz Quitupan can purchase four liters of Carlo Rossi for 200 pesos (today’s price at La Paz). That works out to 50 pesos per liter. A 6 oz glass of wine (very generous, as many places would call 4 oz a glass) is about 150 ml. This will provide 6 2/3 glasses for each liter, 13 glasses per 2 liters (allowing for spillage) or 26 generous glasses of wine for each jug of Carlo Rossi.

26 glasses times 30 pesos works out to 780 pesos per jug, a markup of 390 percent. And more if the glasses of wine are not so generous.

I’m not sure that Number 4 has that high a markup.

Yes, it's a good sized markup. But, on the other hand, I don't think there are too many restaurants who charge less than 30 pesos a glass for their wine. And a good amount of it is probably Carlo Rossi. Personally, I don't ask what I'm getting when I order house vino blanco (I'd rather not know).

Not all places serve Carlo Rossi as house wine. I believe that Hacienda Ajijic, and I know Tango and Number FOUR do not. Tango serves Las Moras and Number FOUR serves Logan Apple tree Flat Shiraz from Australia.

We tried this new restaurant on Friday afternoon around 2:30 and found it to be just delightful. When we walked in, we were offered a sample of the three meats Adolfo had been roasting over a wood fire. We tried lamb, lechon (pig) and chorizo. It reminded us so much of the flavor and the way meats are cooked in Argentina.

We ordered the Mixed Grill for 190 pesos. It included a large serving of all 3 meats and on the side were delicious hand made tortillas, beans and cactus salad. As we were ending our meal, he offered us a cocktail that I hadn't tried before, I think it's called a Casuela. It had fresh grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice and tequila. It was refreshing and tasty.

During the meal, I'd had 2 Coronas and my husband had Agua Mineral. Our bill came to a whopping 240 pesos! We left there full and so pleased with the quality of the food, the service and the lovely setting.

I encourage you all to give it a try if you like meat cooked over a wood fire. He says he does the meats on Fri., Sat. and Sun. and during the rest of the week he offers things like T-Bone steaks, Arrachera, Fajitas, Fish and Shrimp. As his business grows, he says he hopes to offer the grilled meats daily. He did say if people requested it, he would cook them during the week.

We'll definitely be back!

Happy eating,

Valerie :D

We tried this new restaurant on Friday afternoon around 2:30 and found it to be just delightful. When we walked in, we were offered a sample of the three meats Adolfo had been roasting over a wood fire. We tried lamb, lechon (pig) and chorizo. It reminded us so much of the flavor and the way meats are cooked in Argentina.

We ordered the Mixed Grill for 190 pesos. It included a large serving of all 3 meats and on the side were delicious hand made tortillas, beans and cactus salad. As we were ending our meal, he offered us a cocktail that I hadn't tried before, I think it's called a Casuela. It had fresh grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice and tequila. It was refreshing and tasty.

During the meal, I'd had 2 Coronas and my husband had Agua Mineral. Our bill came to a whopping 240 pesos! We left there full and so pleased with the quality of the food, the service and the lovely setting.

I encourage you all to give it a try if you like meat cooked over a wood fire. He says he does the meats on Fri., Sat. and Sun. and during the rest of the week he offers things like T-Bone steaks, Arrachera, Fajitas, Fish and Shrimp. As his business grows, he says he hopes to offer the grilled meats daily. He did say if people requested it, he would cook them during the week.

We'll definitely be back!

Happy eating,

Valerie :D

I agree with you 100%. The food was fabulous. After trying his samples, my wife ordered the lamb. First time in 36.5 years she ever ordered lamb anywhere because she thought this was so good. I had a combination of lamb and chorizo. All excellent and the frijoles and tortillas were the best we ever had. The drink you descibe had fresh lime, grapefruit, and orange juices in it, along with tequila, and the fruit wedges were floating in the huge bowl the drink comes in. I do not drink tequila but this drink was so good and so refreshing that I had more than my fair share. Great people, good service, nice music, and fair prices all added to the enjoyment of this restaurant.

We wandered in there this afternoon about 5, only customers there. The meat was fabulous, so tasty. The couple were delightful and fun to chat with and the two men were working hard on repairing the pool. Not that I will go swimming, but he wants to fill it and float candles etc.. in it, so it will add to the charm of the place.

We too had the cazuela beverage. I am not a tequila drinker, but will agree that I sipped a bit more than is my habit, very refreshing. Since the meal was so good I suggested to my other half that a big group would enjoy it.

Maybe we should have a forum meet and greet there soon.

We had lunch there today and can't say enough as to how great their food is. However, we got to talking to them and didn't count our change before we left and they got to us for $50.00.

Moral: count your change, don't get distracted.

Will we go back, probably, but will count our change twice before we leave the table.

I'm sure that was an oversight and they would be more than happy to make it right. They are really nice people. We've been back several times and had breakfast last weekend. Carne con Chili - delicious. Again the fabulous tortillas that Alesandra makes right at the moment and I watched her squeeze my gigantic glass of orange juice. The coffee was rich and full bodied. Really good, too. Adolfo used to work at Las Caballerizas Coxala in the Racquet Club so he's a master at that spit bbq. I'm drooling thinking about it right now.

Please go back and let them fix it.

We wandered in there this afternoon about 5, only customers there. The meat was fabulous, so tasty. The couple were delightful and fun to chat with and the two men were working hard on repairing the pool. Not that I will go swimming, but he wants to fill it and float candles etc.. in it, so it will add to the charm of the place.

We too had the cazuela beverage. I am not a tequila drinker, but will agree that I sipped a bit more than is my habit, very refreshing. Since the meal was so good I suggested to my other half that a big group would enjoy it.

Maybe we should have a forum meet and greet there soon.

We were there yesterday afternoon and also found it great. We also had the cazuela, very good indeed.

I would recommend it and definitely will go back. Alfonso and his wife Alejandra are good hosts and came to our table, asked us how we enjoyed our meal. We wish them success.

We had lunch at Terraza Quitupan today and enjoyed ourselves. My wife and I shared the mixed grill for two and still brought enough home for another meal. Our friends had shrimp burgers and hamburgers. We all had cazuelas; what a nice drink!

We've attended neighborhood events at this location, when it was in disrepair, but the present proprietors have done a beautiful job of restoring the building and grounds. Only my wife was slightly concerned about the plaintive bleat of a lamb at the rear of the property. Next?

We will return with other friends, who will be pleased to hear that they also offer seafood and other dishes, in addition to the grilled meats.

For those who don't want to park on the 'ramp', you can turn onto the street immediately next to Doña Lola and into the dead end lateral toward Terraza Quitupan. Park at the end of it and walk the short path to the restaurant.

We had an early dinner on Saturday night...The owners are a delight. They DESERVE to get our support to stay in business. I had the lamb and my wife had shrimp. The castillo del diablo wine was 45 pesos for a very generous glass. The service was very good and the food was well worth the price.

We will try to help them survive by going back again.....

Archived