Chapala.com Webboard

If You Like Number4

Bisbee Gal

Guest Gringal

It is a rare thing to find REAL crabmeat in a crabcake. Chili Bang may be an exception, but who would like to lay bets that there's a little Sneaky Surimi lurking thereabouts? Doesn't mean they don't taste good anyway.

REAL crabmeat is one of the best things on earth, except possibly abalone. Fond memories: Watching the poor critters boiling on Fishermens' Wharf in San Francisco while using evil instruments to extract the meat of their already demised brethren and sistern(?) Delicious. :P

Gringal - If they're called Crabcakes, they should be Crabmeat. Otherwise, they're cheating the customer. If they're called Crabcakes, they can say that they're Crabcakes with Surimi. Not difficult either.

To call a dish Crabcakes when they're not is downright lying and cheating the customer. Not a good way to uphold your reputation.

I was at La Nuevo Posada last night and had "Avocado Stuffed with Surimi Crabmeat."

I usually don't order crab salad because it's usually surimi. I hate surimi and I don't think it tastes anything like real crab. I haven't had crab cakes anywhere at Lakeside, but when I've had them in the States they were always real crab. It's an insult to serve that crappy substitute and think the customer won't notice.

Guest Gringal

I usually don't order crab salad because it's usually surimi. I hate surimi and I don't think it tastes anything like real crab. I haven't had crab cakes anywhere at Lakeside, but when I've had them in the States they were always real crab. It's an insult to serve that crappy substitute and think the customer won't notice.

I'm with you on that one. As for John's comments about how it "should" be....I gave up "shoulding" shortly after moving to Mexico. You know, like "he shoulda showed up at 10" and "they shoulda said it was partly crabmeat and partly "other". Fortunately, I'm not very fond of crabcakes....a bit heavy for my taste. Just gimme the crabmeat in a nice pile in the middle of a tasty salad. Yesss. :P

Guest Gringal

I prefer mine at the soft shell stage, lightly sautéed, thank you.

You can pass me some of those, too. Gracias.

You can buy REAL Crabmeat at Costco, IF you're willing to pay the price. I believe it's $ 360 pesos for a large can. We cannot afford that, so we buy the small cans of California Girl or Brunswick brands at either El Torito or Super Lake.

You can buy shelled crab meat at the mercado de mar in Zapopan for aprox 120 pesos per 1/2 kilo

You can also buy it in the freezer case at Playa on the Carretera & Colon- not sure if it is at his place in San Antonio. I think it was 90 pesos for a bag.

maw

Guest Gringal

You can also buy it in the freezer case at Playa on the Carretera & Colon- not sure if it is at his place in San Antonio. I think it was 90 pesos for a bag.

maw

Thank you so much! When I need a crab fix, I'll send good thoughts your way. :020:

Archived