Chapala.com Webboard

Best plan for cell phone with very limited usage?

I have the cheapest TelCell phone you can buy... the kind you can leave on your dashboard with the windows open, doors unlocked and with signs pointing to it and nobody will steal it!

I use the SL 100 plan, $100 pesos ($5.33 US today) every 25 days and unlimited calling to Mexico, US and Canada, I think. (Compare that to any USA plan!) I know people in the US who still pay a couple thousand dollars per month on their cell.

My landline gives me unlimited calling to all of Mexico, USA and Canada, too and I use Vonage and Skype for business at home. I carry my cell-phone with me when I go out, but only in case I forgot my grocery list or need to call home and ask if a particular item should be purchased. Internet access can wait til I get back home.

It's simple to swing by an Oxxo or 7-11 to recharge it after you get the account set up (which you have to do at he Tellcell store at Laguna Central)

On 3/24/2017 at 8:21 AM, John Shrall said:

For $199/month you can get the Telcel Max Sin Limite 1000 plan with unlimited calls and texts and includes 1gb (1000 mb) of data. You can pay your monthly bill using the Telcel app. 

Once you get a smart phone you'll find yourself using it a lot more than the cheap flip phones. 

Yes, this. It is the plan I have as well. I use my phone frequently both with WIFI and data. I make most of my calls on it now and have found lots of helpful apps including keeping track of my travel details -- hotel, air, etc. It's a voice operated timer when I'm cooking, I use it with Chromecast and Roku to control and project video. Play for a while and you will probably see lots of things you find useful. This plan is about $10.00 USD per month, I can use all of my data and have unlimited calls here as well as in the US and in Canada. When I travel, I forward my Vonage line to my cell and then I have a US number so friends can reach me without an International call. I added a goof-for-one-month $500 peso fee for travel to Europe -- voila Uber in Paris and all the maps and guide information you can eat! Did I mention that this is $10.00 per month? Full disclosure, I have no other association with Telcel. In fact, I probably hate them as much as the next person. AT+T has a similar plan but I think I hate them even more. Somehow I find "charging up" as needed much more of a pain. When I'm in the neighborhood I swing by the Telcel store and use my credit card to put about $500 pesos on the phone. I can monitor my usage on line so I know when I need a visit. No running out while I am traveling. Hope you like your phone. That's a great price, I may get one as a backup.

Archived