Chapala.com Webboard

Lia's Asian Delight: Sushi and Asian dishes

ComputerGuy

Lia and family sell sushi and other things at SuperLake on Saturday mornings, usually by 10:30. She makes the best sushi rolls I have had at lakeside. In fact, they are as good as those at Suehiro in Guadalajara, if rather more limited in scope (that is, she has only two kinds, although she has many other nifty little snacks such as meatballs, wraps, and more).

Two things that make her sushi rolls stand out: extra work on the filling (ie: shrimp, avocado, rolled egg, and celery); and more importantly, using a high-quality properly-cooked rice, flavoured with sushi or saki vinegar. Now she tells me I can order brown rice sushi if I call ahead. O.M.G.

There are at least nine slices in every roll for 55p, which to me is an outstanding value, and the box comes with tamari and wasabi. She also is at the Monday Market and I think the Tuesday Market. 766-2834.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some more fresh sushi this morning from Lia at SuperLake, and something even more delicious: some sort of Japanase "chicken nuggets", she told me, rather than giving me the actual name and ingredients (which was fine by me, because early Saturday I'm not exactly going on all cylinders...)

• 5 months later...

Of course, there are actually 12 slices in every roll. And this morning she was selling sashimi as well. Shrimp. Lovely to look at, and combined with six sushi. Plus some other interesting snacks.

Archived