Chapala.com Webboard

new highway from Mazatlan to Durango?

Constance

Has anybody taken the new highway from Mazatlan to Durango? We are thinking of driving to the US via a completely different route that takes us to the border crossing Santa Teresa near ciudad Juarez. We want to drive Guad-Tepic-Mazatlan-Durango-Chihuahua-Juarez. We don't know if the route through the mountains from Mazatlan to Durango is safe and in good shape. Is there anybody who has taken this route? Thanks.

I have seen photos and the new highway looks gorgeous. And a bit boring. We drove it from Mazatlan to Durango back when it was the old highway known as The Devil's Backbone. It probably wasn't terribly safe but it was hair-raising and great fun with breathtaking views.

We just drove this route last week and it was great. The new highway through the sierra is magnificent...lots of tunnels and bridges plus one of the highest suspension bridges in the world. Be sure to go Torreon to Durango and not down through Parral. The Parral route is construction all the way. An overnight in Mazatlan is always fun, too. I highly recommend this route. Also, as you approach Juarez, I suggest you take the cutoff to the Santa Teresa crossing. It's a small crossing and usually has no line. You can turn in your TIP theee as well, if needed.

Archived