Chapala.com Webboard

Alfredos and other consignment shops

Just a follow up on trying to get paid for a china consignment sold at Alfredo's. Despite going back after Bennie's friend reported that my money was there to be picked up, the guy refused to give it to me. It was settled for $100p less than what he said before by a judge today at the police station in Chapala.

I know and have dealt with many of the consignment shops at lakeside and have had great service. This is the first one I have had any trouble with. My advice to other people who want to use these shops is get a receipt with a description of your item on it, the amount you expect to get (which does not guarantee you that amount), the date you left it and preferably numbered so there is no opportunity of making a duplicate. Have them call you when the item is sold. Some shops only pay on certain days or just after the beginning of the month so ask what their policy is.

english rose, no shop calls you when it sells the item. mias sends an email. for all other shops, you have to phone them yourself. from what i know (forgive, if im off a bit), is that he had around 700 pesos for you. he originally told you (when you came by) to please return in a "few" days. you came the next day! he said you over reacted, he wasnot trying to steal your $. he doesnt keep much cash in the store, for ovious reasons. he showed my friend his receipt, he was waiting for you. you should have phoned him this time in adavance. alfredo in general buys outright. one in a while he does consignment. nonone else has had a problem w/him. i have done business w/him as well. for example, i have consigned things for barabarsa bazaar for years. sometimes they dont have the cash either to pay. once i had to call & confirm that the girl had enough in the register. (in general barabaras is more organized w/the owners are present). ALWAYS get a receipt.

english rose, no shop calls you when it sells the item. mias sends an email. for all other shops, you have to phone them yourself. from what i know (forgive, if im off a bit), is that he had around 700 pesos for you. he originally told you (when you came by) to please return in a "few" days. you came the next day! he said you over reacted, he wasnot trying to steal your $. he doesnt keep much cash in the store, for ovious reasons. he showed my friend his receipt, he was waiting for you. you should have phoned him this time in adavance. alfredo in general buys outright. one in a while he does consignment. nonone else has had a problem w/him. i have done business w/him as well. for example, i have consigned things for barabarsa bazaar for years. sometimes they dont have the cash either to pay. once i had to call & confirm that the girl had enough in the register. (in general barabaras is more organized w/the owners are present).

I'm not going to fight this on this forum but the amount was wrong and so is the time when I was to return. The advice I added was just to do as much as possible to protect your position with any of the shops. I never would have believed this would be the outcome of our dealings.

Archived