Chapala.com Webboard

Java update

protekme

From the Java site

The jucheck.exe is the Java update verification process. This process will check on the internet for available updates for the Java software installed on your computer. If updates are available, it will notify you and/or manage the download and install of the updates. You should leave this process running in order to keep your Java up to date.

http://java.com/en/download/faq/jucheck.xml

Yes, sorry that was a typo. Now, I'm asked if I want Java 7, update 13 is ready to install. I accepted. After, a window appeared and asked to install the free browser add-on from ASK. I don't want ASK (somehow I feel they were responsible for my problems once). And if I refuse ASK, Java 7 will not be installed.

Am I being paranoid with not wanting ASK to the detriment of having Java 7 update?

Thank you so much for the info.

If you can't get rid of it, try Googling Install Java and take the first link you see, which goes to the real website and offers a download. (ASK is a mighty mean piece of crap that sells advertising space to any two-bit spyware developer that is willing to pay.)

I have done just that, and it gives me the same thing as the link from Sparks when it's time to install it.

It says: By installing this application and associated updater from ask.com your use is subject to the ask.com.

the Java version is jxpiinstall.exe

Would it be risky not to update my Java? I'm getting insecure.

This is what PC Pitstop Tech Talk said about Java

Uninstall Java Now!

The Department of Homeland Security recently recommended that everyone disable Java. We at PC Pitstop will go one step further and recommend that everyone uninstall Java immediately. Here is why Java is such a threat to your computer, security, data and your identity.

First a little history. Back in the late 90′s, Java represented one of the core technologies that brought the web together. Java could run on Linux, Macs, and of course Windows, seamlessly. A developer did not need to create a separate version for each platform, and this simplicity drove a lot of Java’s adoption on the web.

As time has gone on, other technologies such as Flash and now HTML5 have essentially replaced Java as the standard for “web” applications. Every once in a while, we all come upon an old web site that still relies on Java, and that’s how Java gets on our machines.

The problem, and it is a big problem, is that Java has many security holes in it. If you have Java installed on your system, and you browse to a compromised web site, your computer is immediately infected. Let me repeat that. You don’t have to execute any malicious software, the malware enters through the security hole without your consent or knowledge. In the security business, this is defined as an exploit – a compromised web site and a vulnerable computer.

I have heard outrageous numbers from associates in the security industry. Industry insiders are speculating that over 90% of all modern malware is distributed through exploits. There are security holes in many products such as Chrome, Firefox, Adobe Reader and many others, but the most porous, security-hole-ridden software out there is Java. It’s not even close.

Think about it. Java is an old technology that you rarely use in your day to day browsing experience. Once a blue moon, you come upon a site that requires Java and you install it and continue browsing. But now, you have created a huge security hole in your system just because Java is installed on your computer.

In a recent PC Pitstop study of 155,745 computers, Java was present on 29.6%. That’s right, Java is up there with Firefox in terms of popularity. The problem is that the bad guys know it and they have created a whole industry on finding new holes in Java and others.

Here’s the next news flash. The PC Pitstop study had only 16% of Java users on the most recent version. This is relevant because Oracle, the makers of Java, have announced that there is a new version of Java that plugs the hole. The problem is that there is a lot of work in keeping all your software up to date. First, you must download the software, then install it, and then most likely reboot. You are looking at 15 minutes minimum. Most people don’t have the 15 minutes, and even more people are unaware that it should be updated.

So our recommendation is to just remove Java from your system. Even if you visit an old web site that requires Java, you can still install it again. A better idea would be to contact the site administrator and tell them to update to other technologies. It’s easy to uninstall Java. Just go into Control Panel and find the application that allows you to manage the software. It is called Programs and Features in Windows Vista, 7, & 8, and Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP. Note: quite often there will be multiple line items for Java. Make sure that you remove all of them.

So the conclusion is to uninstall Java. There might be a web site you won’t be able to use in its entirety, but you can feel a lot safer and sleep better at night.

"So our recommendation is to just remove Java from your system. Even if you visit an old web site that requires Java, you can still install it again." Yeah, right. So why bother removing it?

"A better idea would be to contact the site administrator and tell them to update to other technologies." Yeah, right. All those website designers can't wait to take my advice.

Hey, I just installed Java again... the little box that says Install Ask was easily deselected, and Java went right on ahead with the install. I recommend you go into your Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs (Programs & Features in Windows 7), and uninstall Java, then try installing it again from the Java website.

Also, if you think Ask has been installed, you would need to go into your Internet Explorer or Firefox Tools/Settings and get rid of anything that shows up in the AddOns.

If you can't get around it, uninstall it after as Sparks points out. But there would be a reason you are having trouble, and that is buried somewhere in your computer, and would require a bit of troubleshooting to uncover why... because this is definitely not normal behaviour.

Thank you all for your help. I used to have ASK and I removed it a while back. But I just noticed that it was in my search engine (it must have sneaked in with an update somehow) and I just deleted it. I have looked in my add-ons and I removed Java. ASK was not there. After I removed Java, I noticed that the other add-ons had been disabled, so I enabled them again. Is that okay?

Archived