Chapala.com Webboard

Toyo restaurant in Guadalajara

HelperGuy

I buy my Chinese/Japanes/sushi condiments at Toyo in Guadalajara, but last week was the first time I've eaten at the restaurant across from the store. Gads, it was awful. The white rice in the rolls was even worse than Ricki's here in town. Fish portions, both standalone and in rolls, were absolutely miniscule, and usually combined with celery and PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE, which is an abhorrent substitute down here for... anything else.

I liked having the choice of avocado and roe on the outside instead of just nori, but that's about it. Even their eel sauce wasn't as tasty as the stuff they sell in the store. And when the bill came, my limonada was 30 pesos, while a cup of green tea also ran to 30 pesos. Unbelievable.

Guest RevImmigrant

I like the store; it's quite good for a small store, but I don't eat at the restaurant. Suntory on Av. Chapultepec around the corner from Toyo is good; Suehiro is good (I think it's on Av. LaPaz - I know how to find it). For a chain Tokai (several locations, I have been to the one near Sam's on Mariano Otero) is pretty good and not too expensive either. Nikoy used to be good, but when I was there last a year and a half ago, it wasn't good any more so I haven't been back. I'm not fond of sushi and don't order it in restaurants, although I occasionally make temaki with shrimp at home.

Archived