Chapala.com Webboard

Problems on the US side of the border with Mexico

simpsca

Guess I just don't understand why they are so relieved to be back in the U.S. Is that not where the problem occurred?

I have not entered the U.S. in over 5 years, and will not be going back, ever. That means by plane, or by car. There is no way that I am ever going to submit to their naked body scanners at the airports.

A friend sent this to me; it happened to her neighbor here on their return to the US - on the US side of the border.

"We wanted to tell you about the horrific experience we had at the Roma TX

border-

HOMEGROWN TERRORISTS

. . . .My Husband and I have traveled to our vacation home in Mexico for forty

years, always crossing the border at Roma , Texas . On the night of Tuesday

March 8th we crossed over into our safe haven once again. We had left Lake

Chapala area at 6:00 am that morning. Around Monterrey , Mexico we experienced

overheating on our vehicle which detained us for about an hour. It was dark as

we exited the toll road going north to Miguel Aleman and finally home to America

. We were the only vehicle going north and we were certainly well aware of the

cartel shootings and gang wars. We became even more frightened when traffic came

from the other direction.. . . .We got to the check point at Cuidad Meir where the military told us it was even

more dangerous in Miguel Aleman. . . .

As a resident of Tamaulipas I was shaking my head in disbelief as I read the part of the story included above.

I understand that residents of Lakeside may not be familiar with local conditions on the border, but in this time they better do their due diligence before setting off. No prudent person would drive that route at night even if the area wasn't a free fire zone. The road was empty for good reason because no person (Mexicano, ex-pat tourist) even marginally informed would do it. Their encounter with CBP would seem innocent by comparison if they had found themselves "in the mouth of the wolf" which was about a 50/50 proposition on that stretch of highway.

I live in Nuevo Laredo and have my office in Laredo. For the past five years I have crossed 5-7 times a week into the US, which requires contact with a CBP officer on every occasion. Most of the time I am alone, but 5-6 times a month I am with my wife, step-daughter and 3 year daughter. A few officers are friendly, some are rude, some are complete a-holes but most are pretty matter of fact. I suspect there are parts missing from the story related by the OP's friend some of which she may not have even been aware.

Archived