Chapala.com Webboard

White House State Dinner for Mexican President Felipe Calderón

maw7815

On Wednesday, May 19th President Obama and the First Lady hosted Mexican President Calderón and Mrs. Margarita Zavala in the White House for a State Dinner. Mrs. Obama worked with Guest Chef Rick Bayless and White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford to create the menu which combined American and Mexican cuisines while highlighting the White House's commitment to sustainable and regional food. Chef Rick Bayless of Chicago (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo) is known for his knowledge of Mexican cuisine with a modern interpretation.

The State Dinner was held in the East Room of the White House. Herbs, radishes, and lettuces from the White House Kitchen Garden were used. White House honey was used by Executive Pastry Chef William Yosses in the Graham Cracker Crumble and Goat Cheese Ice Cream.

The first State Dinner for a foreign head of state was held by President and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant on December 12, 1874 for King David Kalakaua of Hawaii.

Dinner Menu Honoring Mexican President Felipe Calderón:

Jicama with Oranges, Grapefruit, and Pineapple Citrus Vinaigrette

Ulises Valdez Chardonnay 2007 “Russian River”

Herb Green Ceviche of Hawaiian Opah

Sesame-Cilantro Cracker

Oregon Wagyu Beef in Oaxacan Black Mole

Black Bean Tamalon and Grilled Green Beans

Herrera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 “Selección Rebecca”

Chocolate-Cajeta Tart

Toasted Homemade Marshmallows

Graham Cracker Crumble and Goat Cheese Ice Cream

Mumm Napa “Carlos Santana Brut” N/V

What is a Black Bean Tamalon?

I googled it and got nothing. Looks like all the news media just echoed whatever they were told and didn't bother to ask about it.

to answer my own question,I googled "tamalon" without the black bean,and was told it's a big tamal.

What is a Black Bean Tamalon?

I googled it and got nothing. Looks like all the news media just echoed whatever they were told and didn't bother to ask about it.

to answer my own question,I googled "tamalon" without the black bean,and was told it's a big tamal.

Maybe some kind of Tamale or Black Beans in a packet of some type? That's my best guess.

Maybe it is, Tamal, as the singular of tamales. If so, Tamalon would mean a large tamal.

From Senor Google:

Tamalon

The tamalon is actually a large tamal that serves many people. You can use a simple smooth (not terry cloth) dish towel to wrap this giant tamale. Typical ingredients are masa with seasonings mixed with strips of swiss chard. The tamal is steamed then unwrapped, sliced like a jellyroll and served.

Also, here's a link to a photo of a Rick Bayless meal (not the White House dinner) that includes a tamalon on it (it's the jelly rolled slice).

Tamalon Photo

And here's a recipe, adapted from Rick Bayless (this recipe wraps the tamalon in a banana leaf):

Recipe: Tamalon de acelgas

Adapted from Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen.

1 teaspoon baking powder

2/3 cup vegetable shortening

1 1/4 cup maseca

1 tablespoon salt

One small bunch chard

One bunch watercress

2/3 cup chicken broth

1 large banana leaf

In an electric mixer, mix the shortening and the baking powder for about 1 minute until well mixed.

Meanwhile, reconstitute the maseca by adding 1 cup of hot water and mixing thoroughly. Add the maseca to the shortening a bit at a time until all is well-mixed.

Coursely chop the chard and watercress then mix in with the dough mixture.

Pour in the chicken broth, continuing to mix.

Spoon the mixture from the mixing bowl into the banana leaf in a form a bit less than a 12 inches long and about 4-5 inches wide. Roll into a big giant tamale and use strips of banana leaf to tie up the leaf.

Place into a bamboo steamer and steam over medium heat for 75-90 minutes.

Place the finished tamalon into a serving dish and cut open the top of the banana leaf to expose the corn dough. If it's a bit gooey still, place in the oven uncovered for about 5-10 minutes.

Serve with the salsa of your choice.

It seemed very strange--bordering right on the inappropriate--to serve Mexican food to the president of Mexico. Mexican food he can get every day at Los Pinos (Mexico's presidential residence).

I would have thought it wiser to serve him something uniquely regional from the USA, something he might never have tasted. I know that the Obamas are long-time fans of Bayless, whose Chicago restaurants they patronized often, but gee. This would seem to me to be an almost no-win scenario: either Bayless's food at the White House was the best the Calderón contingent had ever had, embarrassing Mexican cooks in general, or los Calderón thought it was mediocre, embarrassing the White House.

How about Kentucky burgoo, or Louisiana crayfish, or wild-caught salmon from the Pacific Northwest, or real Maine lobster, or a barbecue buffet comparing barbecue from Texas, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc? How about dirty rice and soul food?

But mole and ceviche? Margarita Zavala (wife of Pres. Calderón) said she liked it, but what was she going to say?

It seemed very strange--bordering right on the inappropriate--to serve Mexican food to the president of Mexico. Mexican food he can get every day at Los Pinos (Mexico's presidential residence).

I would have thought it wiser to serve him something uniquely regional from the USA, something he might never have tasted. I know that the Obamas are long-time fans of Bayless, whose Chicago restaurants they patronized often, but gee. This would seem to me to be an almost no-win scenario: either Bayless's food at the White House was the best the Calderón contingent had ever had, embarrassing Mexican cooks in general, or los Calderón thought it was mediocre, embarrassing the White House.

How about Kentucky burgoo, or Louisiana crayfish, or wild-caught salmon from the Pacific Northwest, or real Maine lobster, or a barbecue buffet comparing barbecue from Texas, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc? How about dirty rice and soul food?

But mole and ceviche? Margarita Zavala (wife of Pres. Calderón) said she liked it, but what was she going to say?

I have to agree with you and thought, "What were they thinking?" I would assume their present and childhood cooks could do every dish better.

Archived