Chapala.com Webboard

US Telephone

17 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes I just put the sim card in the new phone, powered it up and it takes about a minute for Telcel to recognize the TMobile number.   +3

When I bought years ago the seller activated the sim after I received it.  If you are having problems then contact the seller. They should be able to help. 

Thanks so much. I emailed the seller just now.

By the way, how do you access your account to make the monthly payments? Did you register at the TMobile website or ??? Sometimes, I hate technology!!

43 minutes ago, gyma said:

Thanks so much. I emailed the seller just now.

By the way, how do you access your account to make the monthly payments? Did you register at the TMobile website or ??? Sometimes, I hate technology!!

I use the TMobile website.  You can check balance and make payments. I put $20 or $25US at a time and check the balance every 6 months.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:12 AM, gyma said:

Did you buy your separate phone in Mexico? Did you simply insert the TMobile SIM card into it with no other cell phone provider?

I bought a separate phone here, cheap phone as it really has only one specific purpose for me, receiving these text messages.  Don't use it for anything else, but use it often.  Sits on my desk always on and plugged in.

Each user probably has slightly different needs and will/should set up accordingly.  No reason it can't be in a two SIM phone that I know of.

If experiencing issues I suggest you contact the eBay seller and ask.  I nrrdrd to do that and gt the help I needed.

9 minutes ago, gyma said:

I feel like such a pest (my apologies) but I thought I had this figured out. I bought one of the TMobile $3/month SIM cards from eBay and have it set up. I have an iPhone 11 with dual SIM capability and thought I could convert my Telcel SIM to an eSIM. Now I think I can't do that unless I buy an expensive phone from Telcel -- dang. So... I'm now looking into what you do -- buying an inexpensive phone that I use only for getting text msgs from my bank. 

My question is -- did you set up a pay as you go plan with Telcel for that cheap phone and then just switch out the SIM cards? Thanks so much for all your help -- I couldn't have done it without your advice.

Just insert the TMobile sim.  TMobile will automatically use the Telcel network when "roaming" in Mexico. You do nothing with Telcel.

Be sure the phone you buy has VoLTE capability and is unlocked  (Desbloqueado).   

Mercadolibre Non smartphone

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-2635469856-celular-barra-senwa-volte-4g-liberado-cualquier-chip-_JM#position=17&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=7d6cf60e-9ba6-4048-a6a1-65bb4cc29a25

Mercadolibre smartphone

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-1956771547-promocion-telefono-inteligente-android-marca-uno-pro-16-gb-y-2-gb-ram-con-desbloqueo-facial-el-mas-barato-_JM#position=35&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=7d6cf60e-9ba6-4048-a6a1-65bb4cc29a25

Amazon US a cheap one 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JZ8P4WF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ASHQIE45CGQEF&th=1

Amazon Mx

https://www.amazon.com.mx/ZTE-Smartphone-Blade-6-52-Desbloqueado/dp/B07ZJJMGQW/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1J2FLMEIX7V98&keywords=cel%2Bvolte&qid=1700414538&sprefix=cel%2Bvolte%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.4e545b5e-1d45-498b-8193-a253464ffa47&th=1

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, LarryA said:

I bought a separate phone here, cheap phone as it really has only one specific purpose for me, receiving these text messages.  Don't use it for anything else, but use it often.  Sits on my desk always on and plugged in.

Each user probably has slightly different needs and will/should set up accordingly.  No reason it can't be in a two SIM phone that I know of.

If experiencing issues I suggest you contact the eBay seller and ask.  I nrrdrd to do that and gt the help I needed.

I think I will also buy a cheap phone dedicated for just this use. Did you buy yours from a business or private individual? Just wondering if any phone with a micro SD slot for the SIM card will work or if I need to be mindful of other issues. Thanks so much -- I'm almost there!

2 hours ago, gyma said:

Did you buy yours from a business or private individual?

I went to a local shop that sells phones.  Nothing, nowhere special.  Have done this twice, last time spent about 1,100p if I remember correctly.  You could get a used one, new one, gift from friend, knock over some old timer and steal there's (lots of those around :-), anything is most likely to work.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, gyma said:

I think I will also buy a cheap phone dedicated for just this use. Did you buy yours from a business or private individual? Just wondering if any phone with a micro SD slot for the SIM card will work or if I need to be mindful of other issues. Thanks so much -- I'm almost there!

As I posted before

Be sure the phone you buy has VoLTE capability and is unlocked  (Desbloqueado).