Chapala.com Webboard

Tépalo Project Meeting - Dec. 8, 4pm, Ajijic Cultural Center

Travis

Below is an email I received today for those interested. Don't ask me questions about the proposed development because I know nothing. I'm just passing this along as an FYI so everyone knows about it.

Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, December 8 at 4pm, in the Ajijic Cultural Center on the Plaza.

------------------------------------------------------

Dear Lakeside Expat Friend/s,

It's time to take action to thwart an illegal construction project, which if built will impact every one of us who enjoys living at the Lakeside communities, It will forever change our beloved landscape as we look to the hills, not to mention wreak environmental havoc on this sacred place.  IT'S NOT A RUMOR ANY LONGER!

Chimalli Axixic

The Chimalli (from Nahuatl:Shield)  was the traditional defensive armament of the indigenous states of Mesoamerica. These shields varied in design and purpose: in this case the purpose of using this word, as chosen by the Organizing Committee (comprised of Lakeside Mexicans and members of the expat community), is our call "to shield" the hillside above Ajijic from further development.  Unless we rise up together and quickly stop it, it will be slated for a major construction project comprising some 30 hectares. 

What many of us heard was only a rumor about the Tepalo facing a destructive facelift with a massive development project is already in the works, (albeit illegally).

This email has a twofold purpose:

1.       To announce an initial meeting for the purpose of organizing action committees.  The meeting is slated for Saturday, December 8 (one week from today) at 4:00 pm at the Cultural Center on the Plaza of Ajijic. 
2.       To solicit your financial support for the purpose of hiring an environmental lawyer from Mexico City (who has already been vetted by the Organizing Committee). In fact, all members of the committee chipped in to raise $4,000 pesos to open an account at Bancomer on the Plaza.  Initially, we need to raise a total of $25,000 pesos for our lawyer to begin his work of saving the hillside and fighting the illegal action.  It is estimated that the work will cost between $100,000 to $200,000 pesos.

if you can make a contribution, please go to Bancomer on the Ajijic Plaza and make your deposit into account # 0468878021. 

The sooner we raise the money, the better, as time is of the essence. With the holiday season soon upon us, we can't afford to wait. 

More information will of course follow but because of the urgency of this matter, I am sending this brief notice out now .......

Archived