Chapala.com Webboard

Hospital Jardines Guadalupe

howardF

On 12/27/2016 at 4:47 PM, JayBearII said:

Spencer, are you saying that the doctor gets a kickback for referring you to a certain hospital? I was under the impression, from previous hospital visits over my 10+ years here, that doctors have admitting privileges at certain hospitals and not at others, as in the U.S. The last time this issue came up for me, the surgeon provided a choice of 3 hospitals and I chose the one I liked, which was the middle option, price-wise.

With previous experience with hospital stays, I now know to keep asking the attending doctor when the patient might be discharged. Weekends are not a great time, but there seems to be a strong tendency to discharge patients on Saturday morning. The last time I went thru this with someone, the surgeon showed up to help us with the discharge! Some doctors are more helpful than others. NOT that this is part of their duties, and God knows we expats can be a PIA, but, to me, part of being a great doctor is CARING about your patients and not just about what a wonderful job you did on the surgery.

And BTW, when you go to the hospital, it you are going to be a bit "out of it" for awhile, consider getting a private duty night nurse, so whoever (spouse, friend, etc.) is taking care of you can go home and feed the dogs and get some sleep overnight. 

This applies to private hospitals. It's my understanding that if you go to an IMSS or Seguro Popular hospital, you need someone to stay with you, and there are NO sleeping accommodations for your helper--they need to bring a sleeping bag.

Many doctors get kickbacks from hospitals, laboratories, diagnostic services like MRI, etc. It's why they send you to a specific place. The doctor may tell you it's because their test results are better. I've personally called around for prices on a MRI and got very different prices. Went to the cheapest and the results and images were just fine. The kick back thing has been going on as long as I've been here - 17 years.

Archived