Chapala.com Webboard

Pickpocket at Walmart

stuphel

Just a reminder to be very, very careful of your belongings. Although I carry a small purse, and keep it over my shoulder, a very professional female pickpocket got into it this afternoon at Walmart, in the classic move of pretending to bump into me as I was looking at some items. It was over in a flash, and although I sensed something was 'off' about the moment, it took me 10 seconds or so to react to my purse being lighter, and she was long gone.

This woman is young, Mexican, slim and attractive, if a bit hard looking, with blonde in her hair. She had it pulled back into a pony tail, and was wearing a stylish baseball cap. She was shopping with a girl around 12 years old, with pompoms in her hair. She had another girl, around 8 with her, and later I saw her with a man, boyfriend or husband, as well.

We reported the situation to Walmart, who looked on their security cameras but didn't have anything they could use. The thieves were out of the store by then (loaded with groceries on my dime), but we wanted the store personnel to be on the lookout for the fact that a pretty professional gang were operating on their premises. Who knows what, if anything, they can do.

Luckily, I had only money in my bag, and not my ID, credit cards, etc. I'm a couple of hundred dollars poorer, but I'm healthy and live in a pretty nice place, all things considered. I'm also likely to take even more care in future.

There have been more posts about something like this in Walmart. It certainly is not the first time there.

Yes thanks for the warning. There have been other episodes in Walmart. At one time a man was following me to every department I went to - even when I was trying on womens sun glasses he was there. Decided to leave the store immediately without purchasing anything.

carry the purse w/the zipper, or opening on the inside towards your body. keep the bags strap shorter so the bag is under your upper arm. nonone ever bothered in walmart. but then again ive only been there several times since it was built. never liked that store!!

Archived