Chapala.com Webboard

Tortillaria Elena

Lakesidechaps

After receiving the recommendation by 'the walkers' I went on a Non-GMO-tortilla hunt this morning.

Yes indeed you can find a tortillería in Ajijic that actually uses freshly ground nixtamal rather than Maseca!

You can find Tortillaria Elena just off Guadalupe Victoria and Galeana. Drive the carretera into Ajijic and where the OXXO is go down towards the lake.

That street is Geleana.

First intersection is with Guadalupe Victoria. Cross it and on your right hand side you will notice the small Tortillaria.

Looking inside you will immediately notice the big bags with the (non-GMO) Corn or Maiz and no bag of Maseca in sight!!!!! The owner is a very friendly Mexican senora and she will explain you

how she makes the tortillas; just has they have done it for hundreds of years.

So if you care for good quality tortillas and keeping your health, avoid any product with GMO-corn in it and bring your business to the small manufacturers like Tortillaria Elena.

post-11816-127507092309_thumb.jpg

How funny, this is where I always bought my tortillas when I lived a couple of blocks from there in Ajijic. I never paid attention to the nixtamal-ization going on there!

This is great news and thank you for posting it. I wonder if she would be open to putting up a big poster saying that her tortillas are non-GMO? For those of us who care, it would be good advertising.

Archived