Chapala.com Webboard

A lesson learned at the garage sale

BenjiBoy

Sometime ago, I was annoyed by the prices on some items that a well-known couple charged at the sales they held of household items.....five pesos, ten pesos, etc....They explained that the prices didn't matter....it was the total earned at the end of the sale that mattered! I appreciate that now.

At the never ending sale at my Jocotepec garage.....some items are even sold for two pesos and I then pay a 20% commission....well each week my little sales elves have never, up to now, given me less than 2800 Mxp for the week's take....items that no formal Bazzar would touch, with their 100 to 150 peso minimum get's scooped up. The same women shoppers come back nearly every evening to socialize and go thru baskets of dusty items or piles of tee shirts and even out dated cans of food or bottles of spices....some beauty supplies have to be translated so that they can guess at what they are buying....

I get more than the pesos....the laughter, the banter, the waving from passing cars and pickups with these new friends and neighbors is a blessing....

No shop lifting, no tag switching, dogs and children coming in and out, no insults, no arguing over prices, no knocking of some of the tired items....the memories will be mine forever.

Fred

• Like 12