Chapala.com Webboard

Spam

30 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

One can pay a small fee to a bot farm to harass/attack a forum website, if they wish to cause turmoil. It will likely require a CAPTCHA or software to stop it.

I had the thought this might be a possibility but then the link Lou posted seems to show there is a bigger problem here than just us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

I had the thought this might be a possibility but then the link Lou posted seems to show there is a bigger problem here than just us.

If I am not mistaken, you may need to find out from the website where the forum platform was downloaded from. I do not see this on 2 other forums but they have paid platforms/software. 

EDIT: Okay now by scrolling down I see Invision may be the platform. There may be better - could check here https://www.phpbb.com/  but I know from experience, migrating a forum is not fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

I had the thought this might be a possibility but

It's highly unlikely that a specific attacker targeted this particular site, maybe a one in a million chance. By far, the common case is that an exploit is discovered for a certain web application, and it's leveraged against all vulnerable sites of that type.

BTW, I've seen none of this spam. OTOH I only receive notifications about threads I've posted to, plus a daily digest email. That's quite enough. If you ask for more comprehensive email notifications, consider cutting those back.

LQ

12 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

they are trying to slip their spam

"It" (not really "they") will inject spam until it's fixed at the application level -- which I suspect only an admin can do. All else is cosmetic "Cleanup on Aisle 5" drudgery.

LQ

Mods are limited to a function "Flag As Spammer" which removes the spammer and all their posts.  We can't see the IP address.

I have tried to get CB to stop using Invision as this is a chronic problem with their software.  You will notice this never happens at TOB.

We are coming up on a week of this attack.  Longest yet.

• Like 1

I'm going to ask those of you who want to keep this group going to contact Chapala Realty direct and ask them to fix this.  I really can't sit here all day and delete the same spammers over and over again.  This needs to be addressed at board level.

• Like 5

Just deleted a half dozen more obviously from the same spammers that have plagued us for a week now.  So the capcha isn't stopping them.

From MOD5 just deleted 30 or so.  Sorry to break in to your post, Moderator-5, maybe two hours later