Chapala.com Webboard

Handicap parking

10 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

A friend asked me how to report abuse of a handicap blue curb parking. I thought maybe Vialidad? Anyone know how to do this? 

Such a common problem in all of Mexico. In over 20 years, I have never seen any enforcement to solve this problem. Once, I saw a cop shake his finger at a young woman that had parked in one. She just ignored him, and he did nothing. When it comes to parking in Mexico, it is dog eat dog.

Sometimes you can't tell what actually is their health issue that causes them to park in those spots.  Example: you can't see if someone has heart issues . I am not saying that there isn't abuse, just that you can't always judge a book by its cover.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I've been told that only those with hanging-type handicap stickers are allowed to use those parking places.  Apparently a doctor has to approve them, and they are dated etc. so easily verifiable. If you are justified in needing one, you get it.

Also was told it was because people were buying the window stickers you used to see around, not applying them to the windows, but rather just putting them in the front windows when "needed".

5 hours ago, ibarra said:

Sometimes you can't tell what actually is their health issue that causes them to park in those spots.  Example: you can't see if someone has heart issues . I am not saying that there isn't abuse, just that you can't always judge a book by its cover.  

Easy enough to tell, if no hanging placard, not qualified to use the space. All with serious need will qualify.

• Like 1

Posted by Harry B   August 18, 2020   this Board:

If you are using the square blue and white signs from a papelaria soon you will be fined if parked in a handicap space.

To get a legal government issued permit do the following:

1. Make a copy of your visa, front and back

2. Copy your latest CFE or phone bill showing your address

3. Get a letter from your doctor stating why you should be entitled to a handicap sign and for how long.

4. Copy your CURP front and back

5. Take these to DIF Chapala ( on Degollado on the left, I believe)

6. Go straight back to the rehab room (Last room on the left and submit your paperwork.

ibarra the info you took was from an American blogger and I don't see a date    not arguing with you   just think a U.S. blog is not the best and most current source of info

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

I've been told that only those with hanging-type handicap stickers are allowed to use those parking places.  Apparently a doctor has to approve them, and they are dated etc. so easily verifiable. If you are justified in needing one, you get it.

Also was told it was because people were buying the window stickers you used to see around, not applying them to the windows, but rather just putting them in the front windows when "needed".

Interesting as most quadriplegics and many disabled people cannot reach to hang the card, so do sling it on the dashboard. A policeman in Canada or US is open to a reprimand for not looking there. Power to the people.😎

• Haha 1

The other thing to consider, is that many handicapped people do not necessarily own their own vehicle. My mother-in-law was one of them BUT she did have a handicapped placard and put it on the dashboard of any vehicle that was transporting her... including taxis.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Posted by Harry B   August 18, 2020   this Board:

If you are using the square blue and white signs from a papelaria soon you will be fined if parked in a handicap space.

To get a legal government issued permit do the following:

1. Make a copy of your visa, front and back

2. Copy your latest CFE or phone bill showing your address

3. Get a letter from your doctor stating why you should be entitled to a handicap sign and for how long.

4. Copy your CURP front and back

5. Take these to DIF Chapala ( on Degollado on the left, I believe)

6. Go straight back to the rehab room (Last room on the left and submit your paperwork.

ibarra the info you took was from an American blogger and I don't see a date    not arguing with you   just think a U.S. blog is not the best and most current source of info

I am not doubting what HarryB posted. Just sharing what a searches revealed.

The only information from U.S. is dr.handicap article.

Here is the link for the snapshot information:

http://www.disabledmotorists.eu/en/world_map/central_and_south_america/mexico.htm

• Sad 1

I was not referring to a spot in a lot, but a curb on a street. These have to be applied for by the handicapped person, the neighbors I are asked if OK. The space is then issued to that handicapped person. I believe it has a number and the sticker has the corresponding number. So the person and car is known to the neighbors. Apparently one of the neighbors is using the space and I am told the cops do not check. So my friend would like to report this and does not know how.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

ieveI was not referring to a spot in a lot, but a curb on a street. These have to be applied for by the handicapped person, the neighbors are asked if OK. The space is then issued to that handicapped person. I believe it has a number and the sticker has the corresponding number. So the person and car is known to the neighbors. Apparently one of the neighbors is using the space and I am told the cops do not check. So my friend would like to report this and does not know how.

Evidently it was not OK with one neighbor. 

And even if you see the official version of the sign, who's to say that it's being used correctly? A lot of folks seem to treat the sign as community property. Hubs has a very obvious handicap (amputee), but if he's not with me, I don't ever park in a blue spot. He doesn't drive anymore, so I sometimes get funny looks if I pull into one and hop out, but it's only if he's with me. Once he steps out, the same folks who were giving me filthy looks suddenly look down or away :)  I do hope that they start enforcing the rules, but....

We have a dear friend who currently lives at Dr. Leon's "Hotel" on the Carretera in Ajijic Centro. Every Sunday, I pick him up for a Sunday Fun-Day at our home. When I arrive, the two blue parking spaces are NEVER available for pick-up of our friend. I have to go to Intercam, call the care-taker and ask her to bring him out to the street. She calls when he's there and I have to double park in the middle of the Carretera with my flashers on while he tries to get into the car as quickly as possible. He has mobility issues and it takes a few minutes. The cars immediately behind me can see what's happening but those further up the hill are laying on their car horns. It's frustrating for all parties, EXCEPT for the people who have parked in Dr. Leon's 2 handicapped parking spaces.

Usually, when I return with my friend on Sunday evening at least one space is open or a space close enough to walk with him into the "Hotel" has become available.

It's unfortunate and frustrating. I don't know there's an answer to the problem. Dr. Leon has told me many times that there's nothing he can do about it even though he's paid for the specially marked spaces.

ARGH!

Val Jones

Speaking of "handicap parking"...there  are 4 or 5 spaces reserved for that on the "taxi" side  area of the plaza.  Are there EVER any spaces left for people who are actually in need of them?  HAH!! So far, never!!!

Sadly, I am forced to conclude that too many people care only for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2