Chapala.com Webboard

How is everyone doing with their ISP these days? Looking for recent experience.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:59 PM, oasiscloud said:

I know that startlink is good, but it will be interesting to see how it is once the rainy season starts. It is a satellite and so affected by weather. I'd keep my Telmex until then. Please give a follow up report once rainy season kicks in. Thanks!

Great point. I've been really, really happy with it (even the hubs is!), but you're right about it being a satellite and the weather, etc. I'll drop a line once rainy season hits. Meanwhile, between the speeds and our new Fire Cube, buffering is down a LOT and our TV streaming has been pretty good which is the biggest reason why we got it. Dish was becoming iffy, so we saw the handwriting on the wall and got rid of it. Meanwhile, the price of the satellite unit has come down quite a bit. I think it's going for around $350usd and the monthly charge dropped in half and is around $55. For us, it's worth it. 

On 4/25/2023 at 8:33 PM, mexijims1 said:

When I ran into a TelMex installer, he said you need to get a work order done at the TelMex office on the carretera.   We did and he returned two days later and spent quite a while looking for the source of the DSL connection to the house. Once he found it, he clipped it and inserted the fiber optic going back to the box.

A nice tip to the guy always helps.

Do they run a new fiber optic cable all the way into the house where the modem  is, or do they clip the existing cable outside somewhere and the rest of the way is the existing cable?  Sorry if this is a stupid question because I don't understand this much.

12 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Do they run a new fiber optic cable all the way into the house where the modem  is, or do they clip the existing cable outside somewhere and the rest of the way is the existing cable?  Sorry if this is a stupid question because I don't understand this much.

New fiber cable into your house to the location where you put your ONT device.  We had our ONT terminal installed in a central location near electric outlet.  They disconnected the existing cable but did not remove it, we had someone do that.  We purchased Deco TP Link extenders and set them up and attached to new fiber unit so we get service throughout our entire, 2-story home and on our patios.    Via Amazon.com.mx   TP-Link Deco WiFi Mesh Sistema WiFi de Malla Para todo el Hogar: Antivirus, Roaming Continuo, Cobertura de hasta 5,500 Pies Cuadrados y Más de 100 Dispositivos (Deco M5 3 Pack)   

Bought a bracket to attach one unit to the wall by the ONT/fiber connection.  Via Amazon.com.mx   ALLICAVER Soporte de pared compatible con Deco M5, soporte de metal resistente compatible con Deco M5 Mesh WiFi. (M5-1Pack)

Our other two TPLink units are sitting on furniture .

Actually, the fiber optic cable is thinner  than the previous cable, so you should be able to fit it in the existing hole.  They drilled a new hole in my wall just to make their installation easier, more directly toward my modem.  Saved them a lot of time and effort.  You can actually see the fiber cable on the outsie wall entering into the house.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

...They drilled a new hole in my wall just to make their installation easier, more directly toward my modem.  Saved them a lot of time and effort.  You can actually see the fiber cable on the outsie wall entering into the house.

Hope this helps. 

Same at our house.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:59 PM, oasiscloud said:

I know that startlink is good, but it will be interesting to see how it is once the rainy season starts. It is a satellite and so affected by weather. I'd keep my Telmex until then. Please give a follow up report once rainy season kicks in. Thanks!

We have had our Starlink since early August 2022, and Starlink is RARELY down, even with heavy rain and storms. It only drops now if the power goes out. We live east of Vista del Lago (NO Totalplay, NO fiber optic, NO reliable TelMex or Telcel) and we're very glad for this option and HIGHLY RECOMMEND 😁 for strong (averages 100+ mbps down) and reliable service.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  Telmex showed up with no warming or call in advance and switched us over in about 1.5 hours.  It was very plug and play inside the house, our VoIP, VPN, telephone just plugged in and worked immediately.

We are trying the cheaper 50 mb service and so far just fine.  Our Iteso students were here this weekend and said they had no delays or disconnects.

Couple questions:

Where do I find the phone number of the local internet line?

Can that internet line call all over the country without charge?  Can it call out of the country without charge?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Couple questions:

Where do I find the phone number of the local internet line?

Can that internet line call all over the country without charge?  Can it call out of the country without charge?

Thanks.ld

Telephone and Internet Infinitum for your home. (telmex.com)

It would appear that you have unlimited calling. Your own Telmex number should be the same... try calling the landline with your cell phone. Or, if you don't have a cell phone, ask someone else to call your old number.

• Like 1

Nothing changed with Telmex just because you had fiber installed.  All phone numbers for service are the same, all service to your landline is the same.  No charge for MOST long distance calls as long they are not 800 numbers (does not apply to MX 800 numbers).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Nothing changed with Telmex just because you had fiber installed.  All phone numbers for service are the same, all service to your landline is the same.  No charge for MOST long distance calls as long they are not 800 numbers (does not apply to MX 800 numbers).  

I think that he said he only had a Telmex DLS line.... no phone/number.

OK our setup was a little confusing.  We had two land lines, one was solely for DSL.  When we switched to fiber optic we no longer need that phone line and it was disconnected.  Our main house phone is still a land line.

I am going to call my wife's cell phone from the phone plugged into the Telmex fiber optic modem and see what number her cell phone thinks is calling.

I'm glad to hear the good news. I am sure many of us remember the old days when things did not run as smoothly.

Oh, my copper Telmex landline has always been good in comparison to my neighbors. These days when very few folks are online, late at night, I can get up to 45 MB/second on my landline. However, during the busy day, my speeds are closer to 25 to 35 MB/second.

• 3 weeks later...

Hola Airchamby,

Starlink 🚀 is only worth it if ACTUAL LIVE stats like this will please you at home....

128 Mbps download; 7.6 Mbps upload, 45 ms Latency and no downtime greater than 3 secs in the past 12 hrs and that's on 7 devices.

We live east of Vista del Lago and we had no options other than TelMex and Telcel which failed ☹️ horribly.

Buena suerte!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:10 PM, Natasha said:

Copy/paste from From Yahoo news on line:  

"....... Twitter's most active users are declining, the company wrote in an internal report, Reuters reported. "Heavy tweeters" create half of Twitter's global revenue but make up less than 10% of users. Crypto and NSFW content are replacing traditionally popular topics on Twitter, the report said......."

Ah ha I've seen this phenonium some place before. Oh yes, tweeting birds on a wire being scared off by a sudden change. Funny part is the company weeding out fake accounts. Even Amazon gets accounts that are created to only boost a product with reviews and bad reviews for competition. Twitville is no different with a plus amount of political hack accounts. Then there is the FBI fake accounts the new owner axed. But eh, personally can't blame them for being freaks online.....try that on the streets as a known person and they'd get hurt 😊