Chapala.com Webboard

How is everyone doing with their ISP these days? Looking for recent experience.

My primary has been iLox, with a 250/50 service.  I’ve been a subscriber for over two years.  I would say the first year was more up/down than I cared for.  The last 12 months has been pretty good.  I like the free bump from 150/25 to 250/50 at the beginning of this year.

Telmex DSL 30/10 has been my backup.  No complaints.  Seems a little faster now that a lot of the DSL subscribers switched to fiber.

I’ll be phasing Telmex out in favor of Starlink.

• Like 1

Just to mention.... Starlink has a very high start-up cost as one has to buy the dish, etc. 

(...and it's owned by the same guy who is driving Twitter into the ground.  🤣 )

This is NOT a condemnation, just information. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Just to mention.... Starlink has a very high start-up cost as one has to buy the dish, etc. 

If you think Twitter is being driven into the ground you probably need to review where you are getting your "information."  🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Copy/paste from From Yahoo news on line:  

"....... Twitter's most active users are declining, the company wrote in an internal report, Reuters reported. "Heavy tweeters" create half of Twitter's global revenue but make up less than 10% of users. Crypto and NSFW content are replacing traditionally popular topics on Twitter, the report said......."

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:13 PM, Natasha said:

TotalPlay.  Reliable  😀  Service when needed  (which is almost never)  😀   Ease and security of payment  😀

Totally agree.  I've had it for several months and never had a problem and it's never been down.  It runs at an average 50 MBPS, fast enough for my household use.  It's supposed to run at 100 mbps but I've never complained because I don`t need the difference.  

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If you think Twitter is being driven into the ground you probably need to review where you are getting your "information."  🤣

Well MC I was just attempting to be cute, but since you asked, here is some of what I see:

https://www.investopedia.com/legal-actions-could-hamper-twitters-road-to-profitability-7368462

11 hours ago, RickS said:

Well MC I was just attempting to be cute, but since you asked, here is some of what I see:

https://www.investopedia.com/legal-actions-could-hamper-twitters-road-to-profitability-7368462

"COULD"

"Cute" you'll never be.  Look, I understand you have your knickers in a knot because Twitter is no longer an exclusive mouthpiece for your point of view but could you stay on topic here?  Are you even in town?   I'd appreciate hearing from those who are here most of the time about how their fiber optic internet provider is working.  We need to make a switch. 

Hell, I'm not even on Twitter.

At this point we are considering staying with TelMex and switching to FIOS which was recently activated on our street.  Our experience with their DSL has been less than stellar, however.

Thanks.

• Like 2

We are averaging a speed of 45 mps with Telmex fiber.  Sometimes we are as high as 56.  We certainly are happier with fiber than we were previously.  We sometimes have 5 connections activated at the same time.  Two-story home with Deco TP Link extenders.   Out of town in Brisas de Chapala where service has notoriously been sub-standard.  Not anymore!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I understand you have your knickers in a knot because Twitter is no longer an exclusive mouthpiece for your point of view....

Is that not a political statement here on the Chapala Board? And from a Moderator.

P.S.  I would not know how to twitter as, like you, I've never joined so my knickers, which I haven't worn since I was 12YO, are not in a knot about anything. 

P.P.S  So noted your critique about my 'cuteness'.  Others probably agree with you.

P.P.P.S.  ... but it was YOU who took your Post off topic by posting the following. I just answered the comment. 

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

And since I'm not actually in town as you pointed out, I guess I'll just refrain from sharing comments from several friends there who amongst them have all three... Telmex Fiber, ILOX and TotalPlay. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

Is that not a political statement here on the Chapala Board? And from a Moderator.

P.S.  I would not know how to twitter as, like you, I've never joined so my knickers, which I haven't worn since I was 12YO, are not in a knot about anything. 

P.P.S  So noted your critique about my 'cuteness'.  Others probably agree with you.

P.P.P.S.  ... but it was YOU who took your Post off topic by posting the following. I just answered the comment. 

And since I'm not actually in town as you pointed out, I guess I'll just refrain from sharing comments from several friends there who amongst them have all three... Telmex Fiber, ILOX and TotalPlay. 

Good.  Now please 

19 hours ago, RickS said:

No, it started here, sixth post in the thread.  By you.  Now please get out of my thread.  Thanks.

• Sad 1

We had installers in Brisas during a scheduled period.  Now, I know of two ppl that went to Telmex to schedule hook up.  They waited...a long time. One other person tracked down an installer and had them come to their home at a specified time.  IMO I would go to the service location up the street from the papeleria across from SuperLake and get an installer there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

For you all that are using TelMex FIOS what is the best way to arrange getting it installed and the old service turned off?

Should we go up to the office on the Carretera?

When I switched from Telmex DSL to fiber optic in my house at the beach, I had to drive to the Telmex office in Bucerias to request the service. Fiber uses a different modem than DSL so it would be unlikely that a random Telmex installer would have an extra in his truck. Anything's possible of course.

Note that when you switch to fiber you'll lose your copper based land line which will be replaced with VOIP service. The copper phone jacks in the house will no longer work forcing you to a portable phone system. The portable phone base is plugged into the modem. If you switch to Telmex and the internet goes down, your phone won't work either.

15 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

... Fiber uses a different modem than DSL so it would be unlikely that a random Telmex installer would have an extra in his truck. Anything's possible of course.

No one said that the installer would come to your house at the time you speak with them, but, will schedule an appointment time for installation?

27 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

When I switched from Telmex DSL to fiber optic in my house at the beach, I had to drive to the Telmex office in Bucerias to request the service. Fiber uses a different modem than DSL so it would be unlikely that a random Telmex installer would have an extra in his truck. Anything's possible of course.

Note that when you switch to fiber you'll lose your copper based land line which will be replaced with VOIP service. The copper phone jacks in the house will no longer work forcing you to a portable phone system. The portable phone base is plugged into the modem. If you switch to Telmex and the internet goes down, your phone won't work either.

That's no problem since we have a land line just for DSL.  Plan on getting rid of that too.  I wonder if those have any resale value these days, they used to be quite popular.  Cell phones really have made land lines unnecessary.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:24 AM, Tingting said:

Starlink Satellite with Telmex as backup (not needed, but just in case...). Very happy.

I know that startlink is good, but it will be interesting to see how it is once the rainy season starts. It is a satellite and so affected by weather. I'd keep my Telmex until then. Please give a follow up report once rainy season kicks in. Thanks!

4 hours ago, John Shrall said:

You can have the installer connect the new fiber modem to your existing phone outlet and the house phone wiring will work as before.

• Like 2

When I ran into a TelMex installer, he said you need to get a work order done at the TelMex office on the carretera.   We did and he returned two days later and spent quite a while looking for the source of the DSL connection to the house. Once he found it, he clipped it and inserted the fiber optic going back to the box.

A nice tip to the guy always helps.