Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking information about local person who helps children through "animal therapy"

Jackie

Posting for a friend.

A Mexican family who moved into my friend's neighborhood and who has  a young child who is Autistic.  They have heard of a local woman who helps children  through 'animal therapy' who have disabilities such as Autism ..  Reasearch has shown that Ninos  does not have this service  available.  Does anyone have any information about this and possibly who this  person is and how to contact  ?  Thank You !

Maybe a start could be just visiting with the donkeys at Yves Restaurant or the farm at San Nicolas or the horse line in La Floresta. At one time I worked with 'special' kids grooming horses. Just being around them, brushing, petting, giving them treats has a very grounding effect. One non-verbal young lad labelled autistic who came to visit us had a propensity to wild outbursts and self harm but sitting up on our babysitter Belgian he became as calm as can be.   

• Like 2

Several years ago I worked with a group that provided horse therapy on the boulevard in La Floresta. We borrowed horses from the locals who kept them for rent around that area. The group worked for a couple of years.

When we ended, the work continued at a ranch east of Chapala near Vista del Lago. This family had several horses and was quite active, as I recall. My ancient memory seems to recal the Name "Cooper" but don't quote me on that

I would suggest a search back a couple or several years through this media might get you come information as I do recall reading about their work. Good luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alfa said:

Several years ago I worked with a group that provided horse therapy on the boulevard in La Floresta. We borrowed horses from the locals who kept them for rent around that area. The group worked for a couple of years.

Not borrowed...... horse guys were paid, but at a discounted rate. I know because my husband was the  horse wrangler in 2000-01. It fell apart for various reason, but was super-good for disabled kids and young adults PLUS their moms.

• Like 1

I ran therapeutic riding/adventure riding for disabled and abled kids and young adults for 20 years but am too gibbled up to do it now. There are some awesome horse guys around. Rahino is a wild guy sometimes but knows horses and could be convinced to help. Others I don't know by name. It looks like there are some good horse handlers beside the sewage treatment behind Walmart and I thought I saw a Percheron there. Perfect breed for that.

59 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

. Rahino is a wild guy sometimes but knows horses and could be convinced to help........... good horse handlers beside the sewage treatment behind Walmart ........... I thought I saw a Percheron there. Perfect breed for that.

Rejeno is way too selfish  my friend.  Horses, rich (foreign) women,  and good ( or any) booze are more his style! 😉Besides, he's busy these days (resentfully) handling his brother's rental string because the brother broke his leg doing the Talpa peregrinación.

Do you mean the horses where Pat Lowrie used to have a dog park? (Large riding ring/corral, plus turn-out areas and some more pole stalls on the west border).  She owns some there, and the others are boarders. Don't know if any of them would be interested..... but one could ask.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Rejeno is way too selfish  my friend.  Horses, rich (foreign) women,  and good ( or any) booze are more his style! 😉Besides, he's busy these days (resentfully) handling his brother's rental string because the brother broke his leg doing the Talpa peregrinación.

Do you mean the horses where Pat Lowrie used to have a dog park? (Large riding ring/corral, plus turn-out areas and some more pole stalls on the west border).  She owns some there, and the others are boarders. Don't know if any of them would be interested..... but one could ask.

I do not know Pat Lowrie nor any dog park but that sounds like the place. I only know Rajeno from talking some but your description sounds like the best wrangler I had. 😎

• Haha 1

Thank you all who made helpful suggestions, offered " colorful" personality analysis , and a brief history of an organization that provided horse/animal therapy in the past.

A helpful suggestion was received by PM  and will follow up with that  ..

Thank you all again..

• Thanks 1