Chapala.com Webboard

DCC Bank Rates --- A New Twist to ACCEPT or DECLINE

Alpha1

DCC Bank Rates --- A New Twist to ACCEPT or DECLINE Screen14
--- taken from a FB post in another Mexican location.

"Instead of the usual accept or decline, they asked if I wanted my pesos in the equivalent of USD or a marked up peso amount."

Has anyone experience this at the ATMs locally, being used in other locations. Not sure what game the banks are playing? Which option is most cost effective?

Thank you.

Last December I extracted Euros from BNP Paribas ATMs with my Schwab Bank card at branches in France and Italy in English.  While I can't recall any specific details of the transactions and don't have their printouts handy, the net result was that the well-practiced 'decline' appropriate to Lakeside seems to have authorized an unfavorable rate.  As always, Schwab picked up the ATM charges, but next time I travel I will go online to research the optimal protocol for local cash extraction (from machines rather than myself).

Come to think of it, the wad of Euros I brought home has appreciated 9% in the meantime, more than compensating for such ATM skullduggery...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Always decline the ATM offers. Your bank will give a much better exchange rate. 

Banks Do Not decide the exchange rate, only Visa and MC ! That is not too hard to understand, is it?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Always decline the ATM offers. Your bank will give a much better exchange rate. 

This is why you have to be very careful about what you read on web boards, some people just don’t have a clue..  it’s not hard to understand, but obviously some still don’t understand it…, Visa & MC Set the rate.

• Thanks 2