Chapala.com Webboard

Join my Wal-Mart Mini-Rebellion!

I shamefully admit I still shop at the Big Blue Box store because there are products there that I can't get elsewhere. Yes, it's a painful shadow of those up north, but...

How many times have you gone to the cashier line, only to find five, six or more folks ahead of you and it's moving as fast as drying mud? OK, I don't normally have anywhere that I absolutely have to be in five minutes or less, but when you have frozen goods that are slowly defrosting while you wait for the hordes ahead of you to finish their own transactions, well, it's frustrating. So, I have started ignoring the 20 or less sign for the self-checkouts. I'm perfectly capable of using the machines and I always pay by card for many reasons. Yes, I've gone wild and had as many as (take a deep breath) 30 items! Guess what happens...nothing. I get in, get out, and the person standing where I would have been in the cashier lane is still there and will be for a bit longer. 

Join my mini-revolution and use the self-checkouts with a semi-full cart! Maybe then Wally will realize that one cashier, especially on the weekends, is not going to cut it.

• Like 1

I started using the self checkout option about 10 days ago.  I got tired of a person putting items in my cart for me or in my bags and putting papaya on top of bread.  I got tired of waiting in line for a cashier who invariably will not have any change.  No matter how many items I have in my cart I go to self checkout.  Saves an incredible amount of stress for me at least.  FYI - I am always there before 9 in the morning and still there is usually only one check out lane open with many in line.  Nope, not anymore!

• Thanks 2

I agree with what you have done. I also did it and was questioned once and started to count my items out loud to the employee and asked it multiples of one item counted as one or individual. She walked away.

I now do not go. I joined walmart pass for about 500 pesos a year. I have also received a coupon every month so far for 200 pesos so i have recovered the initial annual cost.

Walmart pass you order online and they deliver. The first few orders were a little difficult but you can use the app to scan the barcode of your items or search.

Once you start ordering it has your normal ordered items and you can also mark favorites.

Now i simply select how many and place the order and select delivery time. Not even stepping inside the store anymore.

Self checkout from the couch.

I assume I will have to eventually at some point go inside for a coffee machine or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Or you could do what I do and not shop there. After too many horror stories about WalMart and their lack of anything resembling quality control: unwanted ingredients in their food, both human and pet, (made especially for WalMart so it is cheaper), poor quality components in manufactured items.... I shop elsewhere. Maybe they have stuff I want??? I guess I'll never know. 😁

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

Or you could do what I do and not shop there. After too many horror stories about WalMart and their lack of anything resembling quality control: unwanted ingredients in their food, both human and pet, (made especially for WalMart so it is cheaper), poor quality components in manufactured items.... I shop elsewhere. Maybe they have stuff I want??? I guess I'll never know. 😁

yes we RARELY go there.  Little mom and pop stores are cheaper, meat markets, and produce markets.  If i need something those dont have Id rather go to  Soriana or Surtidor.  I dont like walmarts politics.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shag said:

yes we RARELY go there.  Little mom and pop stores are cheaper, meat markets, and produce markets.  If i need something those dont have Id rather go to  Soriana or Surtidor.  I dont like walmarts politics.  

Can you please explain, from a viable source , what and how do the politics of WM differ from S or S. Is it the pay, benifits...or maybe  " perception ". We are fortunate to have the choice and selection of stores which many towns do not have.

LET ME EDIT

From a personal experience, when we were supporting a student through Guad University , he was able to get a part time job at WM, which also gave him health care benefits! he was happy as were we.

14 hours ago, Natasha said:

OR for those of us who insist on paying with pesos in cash most days that's not an option.

The exchange rate to get that cash is even lower than the credit card rate.  Not sure I understand the difference here.

The 20+ peso dollar is unlikely to return IMO.  It could and would get much worse if the dollar loses its reserve currency status.  A lot of forces in the world working right now to make that happen.  Mexico will then have the choice to have the peso follow the dollar down.  This will be very difficult for them given the U.S. is Mexico's by far #1 trading partner and that is growing as near shoring of plants from Asia accelerates.

I'm betting Mexico will not let the peso fall below 16.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Walmart threads are great for building traffic on this site.  🤣

Too true. I only wrote this because I had had it with waiting in the one line that had a cashier. It was all done a bit tongue-in-cheek, obviously. Also, I'm doing it so that maybe, just maybe Wally will look up from his tequila and open --dare I say it? -- another line.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

If you do not like it just do not go.  Can you imagine if everyone did this between restaurants that they do not like, banks, people who sell cars locally and the list can go on and on.

just do not go where you do not want to for whatever reason.    Stay calm

Or, if you don't like the posting, take a pass?

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:40 AM, Shag said:

They can’t explain because they don’t have a clue about Walmart politics…

• Thanks 1

some friends went today, there was 15 people  in manuel checker line some with 2 carts full, after 20 minutes , they left because only one person checked out, they went to Surtido in Ajijic, where I go, they all but one Walmart item, there prices are a little cheaper than Walmart too, I order pet food from online home delivery from delivery, getting months supply delivered tomorrow...