Chapala.com Webboard

New Construction - Extortion Attempts

Ezzie

Anyone ever heard of these guys?  I am working in my yard today digging a trench to run a new electrical cable to my garage.  This guy stops by out on the street and calls out to me to come talk to him.  He is carrying some forms and says he is a representative of some construction worker's syndicate or "union"  Says I need to pay him about $3,400 for a residential work permit or something to that effect.  The type of work I am doing is for my personal use on my own home, on my own property and I am not employing anyone to do the work.  He was a bit of a seedy looking character and that there will be problems for me if I don't pay it.  Said he is from Guadalajara and will be returning tomorrow.  Seems to have no affiliation with the Municipal Gov't and showed no credentials.  Would not leave me any paperwork to review with anyone.  Anybody else on here ever been visited by these guys??

This is actually some sort of "Obra Sindicato" or Construction Worker's Union.  I would think this should be something that is directed at larger construction companies that have a lot of workers rather than at private homeowners.  Just wondering if any one else in the Chapala area has ever been visited by some represrntatives of such an entity.  A friend that I have used on occasion as a contractor thinks it is a scammer.

Yes the workers union will visit some construction sites lakeside. Usually your architect or engineer that obtained the construction permit will have already taken care of it so you never see them.

Actually the construction workers union lakeside is the most powerful union in the area. . 

There is no such thing as a "contractor" in Mexico.  It is only a person that does work.  There is no contractor license. 

Not living behind any walls as I am in a rural area east of Chapala not far from VDL where there is a lot of construction on the go.  Just fences to keep the cows and horses out.  Good idea to get photos of the guy and his paperwork.  Still not sure why they would be bothering one old man in his early '70s digging a trench about 10 mtrs. long on his own property.  Hardly should be a concern for a worker's union other than just an attempt to extort money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Not living behind any walls as I am in a rural area east of Chapala not far from VDL where there is a lot of construction on the go.  Just fences to keep the cows and horses out.  Good idea to get photos of the guy and his paperwork.  Still not sure why they would be bothering one old man in his early '70s digging a trench about 10 mtrs. long on his own property.  Hardly should be a concern for a worker's union other than just an attempt to extort money.

What is VDL?. Maybe they think you are digging footings if there is a lot other "activity" in the area

• Sad 1

Since we owned and operated a B&B in Ajijic and employed people we always had an attorney. We were constantly being visited by the Union people, Bomberos and plenty of other grifters. Always had plenty of his business cards available and smiled and handed them out and advised he would handle everything. He took care of the legit ones and the others we never heard back from. If you have ever used an attorney there suggest you get some cards and let him/her know what you are doing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ezzie said:

This is a scam. He thinks you are just another dumb gringo that will pay out of fear. Many do, so he figures it is worth his effort. Maybe you will offer to pay "half and he will be thrilled. :D