Chapala.com Webboard

Photos needed for US passport renewal. Ajijic?

Another ten years is about up, and I need new photos for my US passport renewal. In the past, we went to a studio just East of Manix on the lakeside of the road (Ocampo) in Ajijic

Any new suggestions or does the place near Manix still have a good reputation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.  i

7 hours ago, johanson said:

Thanks, ibarra. I must be getting old. I thought today was the first time I asked that question, but whatever the case, I have the answer I needed.

Again Thanks

Pete, far on the right side of the information line is a box. Click on it to see all of your posts.  Also,  you are the only 113 year old person I know of.  Born in 1910? Hmm

snapshot_chapala.com_1680223779320.thumb.png.d43993de00029e65c85255da22e9a1de.png

• Haha 1

ibarra. Years ago I used to get teased about the picture that i was then using and am still using. They said I should have used a more up to date picture than I was using. So rather than change the picture, I added 20 or 30 years to my age.  I'm only 38 or is that 83. I can't remember :) 

What I do remember is that the picture I used was really me, at one time, maybe when I first arrived lakeside in the 90s. And of course I was much younger when that picture was taken, than today.

42 minutes ago, NEWMtnMama said:

It says RENEWAL BY MAIL. No more online. Must be sent by DHL which iShop doesn't do. 

I shop has a DHL logo on their storefront and was an authorized DHL agent..  don't know if that has changed, in and case  there is a DHL branch office in Ajijic. 

Everything is done online including payment then you send the passport , pictures & package using DHL  Only change is they were using FedEx in the past.

It never was a 100% online process.

20 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Did the DHL shop on the carretera close?

No but there is no parking and I have motility issues. When I called iShop they said they didn't send passport stuff through DHL. I will check again since the embassy seems to want DHL rather than Fedex

10 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

No but there is no parking and I have motility issues. When I called iShop they said they didn't send passport stuff through DHL. I will check again since the embassy seems to want DHL rather than Fedex

To avoid confusion the Embassy is in MX city, the Consulate is in Guadalajara, I guess they both process passports

So, mail-in passport renewal procedures from within Mexico have changed again -- no more passport deliveries via FedEx to your home but rather via DHL to a DHL store only.  Good to know.  It's always important to follow the current instructions from the embassy/consulate website because the steps followed by someone else to renew a few months earlier may no longer be valid.  

11 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

I understand, but cannot confirm, that renewing a USA passport from within Mexico is much faster than renewing a passport from the USA.  This is due to the large backlog of passport requests that are piled up back in the states.    

MUCH QUICKER HERE for USA renewal Depending on day you send it, it will normally 2-3 weeks right now. 

Much easier renewing a Mexican passport same day service in Guadalajara. Takes about 1 hour and they take the photograph for you.