Chapala.com Webboard

Canadians ...do you claim medical receipts...

Guiness

On your income taxes? We have for the past 12 years and last year RCA denied the claims stating that the receipts had to be translated to English and notarized!! We are challenging them but so far not much luck. We submit our medical expenses, dental etc. We have not claimed non resident status of Canada and therefore file an income tax every year with CRA. Jyat wondering about fellow Canucks? 

For the record, even if you do claim non-resident status, you still have the choice of filing or not filing an income tax return. Before we became non-residents, our last filing was for 1997 and there was a whopping medical bill for the femoral artery bypasses (in both legs) which my husband had done in Queretaro. No translation or notarization required. Perhaps the rules have changed with regards to providing proof of medical expenses.  And, of course, if you are not spending at least 180 days in Canada every year, you are not entitled to use Canadian health care whether you have declared non-residency or not.

No we personally don't BUT I can tell you this from my years as certified translator.  When Canadians died death certificates had to go to Rev Can and Service Can (separately).  Service Can said send as is.... we will translate.  Rev Can said " they MUST be translated and certified ".  If the amounts warrant, suggest you get on that becasue as you well know, they have the bigger stick...........

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

..., our last filing was for 1997 and there was a whopping medical bill ..No translation or notarization required. Perhaps the rules have changed

My good friend, in bureau-speak that's from another century.   😉   Just like it used to be you could request as many "original" death certificates as you wanted at the original time of issue, with each having a separate number.  Some of my translations were in that era.  Then, they started issuing jjts ONE original, and as many notarized copies as you asked for at the time of issue.  So translations changed to "copy of" from "original number xxxx."

• Haha 1

The one thing you can't stop is change... and especially when it comes to getting re-imbursed for anything. I sometimes think about starting to file again for the deductions that I do have and then I just slap myself silly for even wanting to put myself back in the position of having to justify some little government sh$$s concept of what I should be doing.

I filed income tax several years ago and claimed medical/dental; CRA wanted an itemized list with costs. I had everything on a spreadsheet, Dr / vendor names, service provided in english & spanish, dates, costs in pesos & converted to Cdn dollars.  Took it to a translator to be verified that I got the translation correct. She reviewed & certified it by stamping and off it went. I think I also sent copies of all the receipts too. This was probably 4 yrs ago. I have since claimed medical expenses, at least twice since then, and have not been questioned.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

file again for the deductions that I do have and then I just slap myself silly for even wanting to put myself back in the position of having to justify some little government sh$$s concept of what I should be doing.

Like  my wise old Auntie Carrie used to say:  "Never kick a skunk! "   🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2