Chapala.com Webboard

Is there someone, or a service that makes runs to Laredo regularly to pick up items?

The issue i have is not the customs tax. It is all the extra fees the carriers stick on. This is how we end up paying almost twice the amount.

I don't think you should complain about having to pay import tax, but the way the carriers nickel and dime us is the real problem. 

It's not just a mexico thing. Try shipping anything from the US to Canada and it's the same thing. Huge fees on top of the customs tax, and it's not like you can claim things are cheaper there for housing, food, etc.

1 hour ago, elevator said:

I use Amazon MX and Mercado Libre when they have my item. Thanks to all for help. And Chapalence can get off the the high horse. I've paid plenty of duty, but when it is two times the original cost that is bs.

You paid duty on the value of the item Aduana determined it to be.  Obviously their search determined the retail value to be more than you paid.

Question: Was there an invoice for the purchase price from a legitimate retailer attached to the Item?  I have imported many things from many countries and never had a problem when an invoice from a legitimate company was attached to the package with the  official international customs declaration form.

9 hours ago, elevator said:

I seriously doubt they would find the club I purchased on Ebay for more than $25.

Doubt Aduana in Mexico checks ebay.  They would check Mexican sources if in doubt.

That is why an invoice should be inside the package and a standard international customs declaration should be on the outside/

1c.JPG

On 3/24/2023 at 10:29 PM, elevator said:

I seriously doubt they would find the club I purchased on Ebay for more than $25.

All of the items that we have purchased through Ebay charged us 10.00US (flat rate no matter cost of item) for delivery to our home in Mexico.  The deliveries were handled by Estsfeta in Laredo, Texas, who took them to their location in Nuevo Laredo.  I have spoken with Estafeta in Laredo about a package and we discussed that they deliver packages themselves to Nuevo Laredo for delivery to locations within MX.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

All of the items that we have purchased through Ebay charged us 10.00US (flat rate no matter cost of item) for delivery to our home in Mexico.  The deliveries were handled by Estsfeta in Laredo, Texas, who took them to their location in Nuevo Laredo.  I have spoken with Estafeta in Laredo about a package and we discussed that they deliver packages themselves to Nuevo Laredo for delivery to locations within MX.

The shipping cost on ebay to Mexico is determined by the size and price. Also if over $50US there will be import fees added based on the declared amount on the international declaration form.  Se example

1c.JPG

A couple years ago my sisterinlaw sent me a cookbook she wrote,worth 35.00 US, when it arrived ,delivery person wanted 49.00 US duty, so I refused it....when it got back to her in michigan, the wanted 98.00 US , for duties and shipping both ways, so she refused it also....I bought it on amazon, for 35.00US and paid 6.00 duty and shipping was free...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 9:56 AM, Alpha1 said:

I find it will vary from item to item, pays to compare.

Yes. We order nearly all non-food items from amazon.com.mx or amazon.com (occasionally mercadolibre.com), depending on availability, delivery time, and final cost. Mostly cost.

I'll open each site in a separate browser window. Having identified a prospective purchase in one, I'll search for the ASIN (Amazon stock number) in the other. You can copy-paste it from the URL. It's this part:

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B007IRMTXE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Most often, the item is available from either one.

Then I start the check-out in both, so that shipping cost and estimated duty are calculated. Duty will be the same (except for the [very] few items actually produced in Mexico), but two more factors can affect the bottom line.

For items from Amazon Marketplace (that is, items sold by sub-vendors, not Amazon itself), the seller may have jacked-up the basic price in the first place, thinking international sales are a costly hassle.. Those cases are generally a bad deal.

Second, amazon.com purchases delivered to Mexico may bear additional shipping charges, often $8-$10 USD. To minimize extra shipping, I'll save these items in my cart until I have a few, since the charge is per shipment, not per item.

Imagine a $25 amazon.com item that, ordered alone, bears $8 international shipping. If combined with three other $25 USD items, the total extra shipping might be $11, not $32.

Beyond this gamesmanship though, it's the same Amazon guy making the delivery, because in the end, Amazon is Amazon is Amazon. Shipping almost always follows the same path, too: Origin -> Laredo -> Pacifico -> Delivery.

This is all second nature to we urbane, 60-ish, coastal elite types. 🙂

LQ

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, OldWEB said:

I agree with Chapalence... why do you think you should get away with paying a low price for an IMPORTED entertainment item that the typical countryman will never get their hands on? You accept (and may have bragged about) the lower housing costs, food costs and just lower general cost of living here. Then the locals now have to pay a higher cost of living cuz many like you whom have decided to stay here and have driven up the cost of living for them.

Just consider it an Entertainment Tax, I think the US invented that one.

EDIT: P.S. I have never liked golf.

Do you like it up there on your high horse?  Feels good to be above everyone else, doesn't it?   Be careful, sometimes them high horses are made of paper and down you go!