Chapala.com Webboard

Is there someone, or a service that makes runs to Laredo regularly to pick up items?

1 hour ago, elevator said:

I was charged $700 pesos for a used golf club that cost $21 US by customs. I'm tired of it.

I assume you have a Laredo address with iShop or the like.  You DO realize that anything destined to Mexico that arrives at  this type of mail service location (Laredo or other) makes a mandatory trip thru customs ( ergo a broker gets involved)?    And they don't care what an invoice says-----   you're at the whim of the person on duty at the time as to assigned value.

IF I'm correct, then why would it have to be Laredo?  You could ship items anywhere convenient for someone making back-and-forth runs.

I got a double whammy when I bought something I could ONLY get in Canada and really needed. Lesson well and truly learned.                 

There is a service in Guadalajara that brings in shipments on a regular basis. I use it for anything shipping USPS since I do not trust MexPost to get me anything.

Te Lo Envio - https://www.teloenvio.mx/

You have the item shipped to their warehouse and they bring it in, generally within 1 - 2 weeks. They charge a 19% rate paid in pesos or USD when you pick the items up.

(no credit or debit cards). You still pay but it is significantly less than anything else I have found. Notifications on shipment status by e-mail. The name you register with must match the name you use as the shipping name, with their address located in McAllen.

If you are ordering large items, they can do special quotes as well, but thy are my go to service to avoid the high fees of FedEx, UPS, DHL. 

Never had any issues.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

When you say 19% rate what is that based on?  The cost of the item?  Ie. If an item is 100 dollars do they charge 19 dollars to bring it here?

Yes it is based on the value of the item before taxes. 100 USD would result in 19 USD charge. If you pay in pesos, they convert it there and you pay in pesos. No other fees. 

Sometimes I get someone who charges the full value including tax but the majority it is only the value of the item. I don't care enough to make a fuss.

You must also show the receipt of purchase too. Either print copy or confirmation in email or app.

Occasionally they will open the item when you show the receipt to make sure it is what you say it is, and always in front of you.

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

I am gobsmacked by the number of people who think it's OK to enjoy the many benefits of living in Mexico, yet get pissed off when they have to pay duty to get goods brought in from other countries.

We lived entitled lives NOB and as Mexican residents, we need to get over that.

IMO Most people are not upset they have to pay duty, it is that the cost of duty/shipping to lakeside is almost always more than the item/s they purchase.   

I never had any problem paying the duty and was more than happy to do so to get something that I simply couldn't find here. There were TWO options to bring things in and they were both good so I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to Alex Peterson and Hugh Roberts who each ran exceptional services for border runs. I miss them.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, artsnob said:

it pays to buy from Amazon Mexico or Mercado Libre Mexico....minimum duty..

Amazon international shipping is a real bargain and they seem to get the best deals on duty too.  I find it is usually cheaper to order from an Amazon U.S. supplier than Amazon Mexico and the delivery is almost as fast.

Would prefer to use Amazon Mexico, their delivery is lightning fast here, but they tend to be very uncompetitive with Mercado Libre or Amazon U.S.

• Like 1

The Mexican government should loosen up the import regulations and brokers should be restricted with further scrutiny. To get an import permit for business here is onerous and expensive. Also any commercial import of an electric or other machine operated device requires the importer to pay an outlandish annual fee for a government certification on each model. The Mexican economy could be booming, benefiting ordinary Mexicans but this is stifled by regulations catering to money barons. A few years ago I imported my mobility scooter from the US. I was charged $500 USD by an American broker plus $500 USD by a Mexican broker and I was charged duty on an item which is supposed to be duty free. I was promised official receipts to try recouping some cash which never came....crooked.

When I ran a business in Canada, I received my import permit free in one day. I brought 1/4 full containers of microscopes from China, duty free and the broker charged 100 CAD to clear through customs. I also imported and exported regularly with the US with very few costs. I could choose to act as my own broker. Here, Mexicans are discouraged from starting such businesses.  

If this politics > delete

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Natasha said:

OP certain made it clear ....I was charged $700 pesos for a used golf club that cost $21 US by customs     

I stand by what I wrote.  I believe the op isn't upset he had to pay duty. He is upset that he had to pay more for duty that the value of the product.

1 hour ago, elevator said:

I use Amazon MX and Mercado Libre when they have my item. Thanks to all for help. And Chapalence can get off the the high horse. I've paid plenty of duty, but when it is two times the original cost that is bs.

I agree with Chapalence... why do you think you should get away with paying a low price for an IMPORTED entertainment item that the typical countryman will never get their hands on? You accept (and may have bragged about) the lower housing costs, food costs and just lower general cost of living here. Then the locals now have to pay a higher cost of living cuz many like you whom have decided to stay here and have driven up the cost of living for them.

Just consider it an Entertainment Tax, I think the US invented that one.

EDIT: P.S. I have never liked golf.