Chapala.com Webboard

Are you surprised you have to pay at a check out?

Have you noticed, after waiting on a long line at WalStupid that the person in front of you seems surprised that they are expected, long after their order is rung up,  to pay? They suddenly look all about them as if someone will rush up and help them and then they  hunt for their money or credit card....very slowly,  looking at the ceiling or some distant  wall. Then they load their cart, slowly, and finally wander off. 

The store should have a special aisle, unmanned ....where you load your own cart and wait as long as you want before moving to a lane where you can pay. No charge for looking at the ceiling.

Fred Habacht

• Haha 5

Checkout at Walmart has been pretty bad for sometime.

I recently signed up for the Walmart Pass.

I think its 400 pesos a year but you get a coupon every month to use at checkout. They have 200 pesos. That alone is worth the membership.

With the pass you order online and they deliver to your house. These type things like Uber Eats, Rappi, are normally only available in the larger cities like Guadalajara but this works. I live near Santa Cruz. 

When you first order I would suggest marking favorites so on the next order it is much faster looking things up.

If your good with apps. Download the walmart app and you can scan your items barcode.

When finished you select a delivery time from a list of available tomorrow times.

I have found that if you place the order at 2 pm or later it will be next day delivery.

I give the Driver 100 pesos. But with the coupon I am still ahead. I am probably saving another 50 pesos in gas and hiw much is my time worth??? It has been excellent for me.

My neighbors are even jumping in and asking me to get a few things for them. They love it. It takes them 2 buses to Walmart and 2 buses home and that takes hours.

No more worries about the frozen food melting waiting in line.

No more waiting in line. No more driving to the traffic zone in Ajijic. The pass has been great for me. They only reason we go now is to see something in person like looking at a TV or Microwave etc.

I would think it would be good for those that have difficulty getting around and those that do not have a car and pay for taxi.

• Like 2

I'm with you Fred!  A European grocery chain ( Holland?? can't remember) has recently installed special check-out lines for lonely people who crave a visit and some human interaction with the check-out cashie as in days gone by.  In that lane, you can take all the time you want.... have a chat... etc.  Not exactly the same as the "what... PAY?  ME?" folks.... but you get my drift.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, Walmart knows our choices on where to shop are limited.  Hence, the lousy customer service and usually only two lines open.  Now, at least they have the open self check out but you have to use a credit card.

DON'T use a debit card.  Not safe in MX or anywhere else, if you are smart !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, adolphsj said:

My favorite is standing behind somewhat spending 120 pesos with a credit card…..

Maybe they have points on the ccard they can use. I never pay cash If I can use my BBVA card.  I filled my 20 gallon tank 3 times last year with points. Well over $4000 in gas paid by using my card for everything

I pay with a debit card everywhere I can included  for gas and grocery. ANyone says everyone pays cash  needs to get out of towwn once in a while. All my friends from Guadaljara pay with cards. The company I work wor wants us to pay with cards at the gas station if we want to be reimbursed,,, It cannot be that dangerous to pay with a card. A friend of mine was defraided of 7000 pesos by a cab in CDMX and the bank Banco Ateca returned the money..

Lots of changes in the last 10 years.

The difference between debit credit card fraud and debit card fraud

Credit card  Bank freezes card, issues a new card  and investigates. You have not lost a single peso until the bank finishes their investigation. 

Debit Card   Bank freezes card, issues a new card and investigates. Your money is lost until the bank finishes their investigation. 

That is why all financial experts advise not using a debit card for purchases. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I find as I approach 80 I'm a lot more tolerant of slow thinking slow moving old folks in line  I've noticed that it is easy to fumble for money, mishear what is going on and in general just not move like I used to.  Not to mention the fact I know better than to be in a hurry in the checkout line.  It does help to shop early, right at opening time, whenever possible.  Less distraction, pressure and overall activity in the store.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

You forgot the person who spends 23 and hands the clerk a $500.........😠

Have a better one. Line not moving. Person checking out just standing there. Cashier notifies someone. We still wait. Finally person runs up and handles the young man ONE peso. I swear this is true

What I think is from my experience are a lot of people in our age group are entering Alzheimer's and dementia and don't realize it....yet.  I only wish I could ask them to see a neurologist. I have facts and names from years past of people doing strange things and turn out to be just that. We should be patient and remember we are retired. 

• Like 1

I think some people are just too lazy to think...alzheimer and dementia are good excuses for some and for others it is just....."I am sleep walking" or "I haven't fully gotten out of bed yet!" Surely the lack of customer service and no change for the registers at WalStupid isn't because Sam Walton was old......no, it is just ZERO reasoning on the part of  current local management.......

Fred Habacht

24 minutes ago, BenjiBoy said:

Surely the lack of customer service and no change for the registers at WalStupid isn't because Sam Walton was old......no, it is just ZERO reasoning on the part of  current local management.......

Fred Habacht

Customer Service is pretty much a thing of the past no matter where you are. 

• Like 1

Several months ago I was in line at the CI bank in the mall, as usual, only one of the ATMs appeared to be working. A little older lady appeared to be having some difficulty working the machine…. Eventually, she left the glass boot while attempting to deal with her cash, her wallet and purse. The next guy in line said…. They should have an ATM just for a little old ladies… she made eyeiContact with him and said maybe they should have one for ###….les as well …everyone in line laughed except….p

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, artsnob said:

I went to Walmart to buy roast chicken......so I left and went to Dusty chicken

You'd have a lot better off to go to "El Pechugón"......... angled corner window near Mia's (and the now defunct Ajijic pawn shop).      IMO Dusty Chicken is always a little overcooked, where El Pechugón are on a rotisserie, not a grill, and much juicier.  And close to your home too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

You'd has alot better off to go to "El Pechugón"......... angled corner window near Mia's (and the now defunct Ajijic pawn shop).      IMO Dusty Chicken is always a little overcooked, where El Pechugón are on a rotisserie, not a grill, and much juicier.  And close to your home too!

Natasha why bother making this comment, nobody asked your opinion and every one tastes are different, besides Ken is older and smarter than you and even has a chauffeur to take him for his chicken, now that is class

• Sad 4